Contactless credit card payment rings?

Hi folks,
Looks like from my initial reading that credit cards generally cannot be made wearable or implantable, outside of the payment conversion chip that doesn’t work with cards that are EMV and contactless (as they are here in Australia).

One bank here, Bendigo Bank, offers the Halo payment ring but the rest (we have four major banks) offer Google and Apple Pay integration on watches, phones, etc.

I’d love to get credit card payments on a ring for one of the major banks. Less so an implantable because of expiry and cards being rolled.

Anyway, I thought I’d ask this again in case things had changed or my research was wrong.

In the meantime I intend to get a Halo and wire money to it as needed. My phone will be in a super tough case (I obliterate phones) and none of these seem to work with NFC.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hello!

Oh, not PMing you, you don’t want an implant. Bankwest Halo is pretty solid - but still has a 3 year expiry (my partner has one, while I have a converted device from a bank I won’t name).

EMV contactless cards can be converted - as long as size is doable.

1 Like

Funny you mention that! I just opened up a Bankwest account exclusively to get a halo ring, wire spending money into it so I can go cardless at work ect.

Agreed the 3-year expiry is pretty dumb, seeing as they are about $40 a ring. but I don’t mind as the only reason for me not getting a converted chip implant was having to remove it after the card was expired anyway.

1 Like

You could probably easily gut that ring and send the chip to Amal

1 Like

I wouldn’t, it is ceramic. The coil is also weird.

1 Like

Tungsten carbide?

Either drop it or clamp vise grips on and it will shatter

1 Like

I’ve looked at these before actually… well rings constructed like these… and it’s a serious pain to get at the chip. Not impossible, but risk of failure and destroying the chip in the process is pretty high. I’ve tried to get at the chips embedded in these rings a few times… ring bits and a dead chip are all that’s left of those attempts.

If I’m not mistaken, Bankwest has a “sticker” kind of thing that is contactless only… conversion is much more likely with that.

1 Like

Used to, Commbank too. I had one. They were for iPhones before NFC payment became possible. They’re long gone now, my brother had one but they disabled it before it expired even.

1 Like

But then you are back to just getting a “Payment Device Conversion” without the extra hassle and also the 40 bucks

1 Like

Tell me about it… Stoopid Banks

I tried a similar style ring but with 125kHz ceramic ring; I managed to get the chip out, and it visually looked okay, I broke the antenna coil in the process.
The hardest part of it, was locating where the chip was, so I didn’t break it whilst trying to open it up

Definitely not an easy thing to do :ring:

1 Like

Ah right, thanks all, so it seems it’s too hard to deconstruct a ring while preserving the chip.

Is it possible to pull the components from a credit card and embed them into a ring?

In effect making a ring for banks that do not offer it.

1 Like

seeing as amal offers custom chips via your card, it’s doable. but I don’t think you will be able to have a plain band ring (I’m not too sure how the wiring works tho), you may need to put it in a compartment at the top (think class rings in America)

2 Likes

Hey @amal does what bluethebox says seem doable?
Thanks!

Technically possible, but no way I would have time to sort out a ring project.

This is called a signet ring design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thankyou! I have never known what to call them, Mostly only Bikies have them in australia.

2 Likes

What’s that? America and England aren’t the only two nations separated by the same language.

Biker Gangs

2 Likes

So I don’t know if he’s accepting work right now, and I have no idea on price, but I have a friend who makes gorgeous rings and has done nfc rings before. I’ll link his page when I can if you’re interested. You’d still need to swap antennas probably

1 Like

Or the official term, Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, who do everything from making babies cry to assassinations (we had a drive by recently, guy got gunned down out front of his house)

Fair enough. I saw you being busy with other stuff.
However… the expiry of the implant holds me back a bit, and was wondering if you’ll have a non-sterile chip, that was for testing or I donno :man_shrugging:

I might be happy to do a DIY bracelet or watch-strap around it.
You could make a few bucks out of a non-implantable device, I could waste some time and resources fiddling with a chip.

It was just a thought…