Custom dngr.us urls

I can easily do that, it was more POC with various compression and codecs.

Discourse is limited to only a few video file extensions, I tried about 4 others that discourse said :fu:

I can add extensions to discourse, but I’m going for max compatability so that would defeat the purpose.

3 Likes

agree… but…

dngr.us/r

1 Like

shit. that just downloads the mp4 on my computer and on my phone it’s worse… it just dumps to the DT homepage for some reason… shit.

i guess we’re going to have to go above and beyond for this joke… custom page.

2 Likes

i guess nginx config has beaten me. i am a burned out husk of a man. i am laying down my arms and giving in to mediocrity.

4 Likes

Maybe it should redirect to a very minimal HTML page with the rickroll and the dangerous things logo that takes you to the home page.

Just use the YouTube url.

When reading with YouTube app open it immediately opens while non YouTube url asks to open browser.

YouTube has ads though, which ruin the joke

2 Likes

I think if you add a timecode to the URL it skips ads at the beginning. So add ?t=1 to start at second 1 of the video.
I could be be completely wrong though, I have and adblocker and use vanced on the phone.

2 Likes

Nope… I like to use one stamps to get my Rick rolls to the right spot… and ads still ruin it

https://dangerousthings.com/_media/r/

won’t autoplay :confused:

1 Like

It autoplayed for me when I clicked that link

2 Likes

Auto played for me too on mobile chrome. But was tiny.

1 Like

try again

ok dngr.us/r updated … is this nightmare finally over?

4 Likes

It directs to a minimized video, and doesn’t auto play

May be a phone security limitation with iOS

Also it’s missing the a second or 2 or the drum intro

If I may make a suggestion, starting at 43ish of the original may be a better starting location

1 Like

Android and Chrome for me autoplays

iphone is a no :frowning:

There’s gotta be a way though…

a gif may work

iphones are stubborn on auto launching anything. same reason why “tap to respond” happens from scanning urls on nfc

1 Like

Odd that a gif works because our brains fill in the music :slight_smile:

3 Likes