Dad thinks RFID chip is the Mark of The Beast, and will lose it when he finds out I have one. Any advice?

Hey! Don’t steal my line with the ladies!

1 Like

oh that’s interesting… would this apply to all leather as well? things like shoes, belts, pants, car seats, steering wheels, etc. … or are cows considered “clean” animals?

What’s also hillarious to me is the core issue here - people taking the bible waaaay too literally. Even in the case of “unclean animal skin”… it’s clearly a warning against what they didn’t understand to be disease (germ theory)… all kinds of superstitions have arisen from observation, but no clear understanding… people used to say “if you see a rat run across your bed or clothes you need to burn those things” … clearly people were picking up on the fact that a rat which carried plague and other diseases would often be a precursor to people getting sick… and that throwing out or burning the “cursed” items the rat touched would help… they just had no idea why, so they bought into the “evil spirits” and “god’s instructions” thing and that’s how things get all fucked up… don’t handle the skin of an unclean animal is probably referring to the actual skin, both living and shortly after death… because it could carry disease, but that part is not talked about, so the “commandment” extends to every ridiculous conclusion like not handling clearly tanned and cured leathers etc.

It’s the same with the mark of the beast… the whole chapter is a warning about subservience and obedience to oppressive systems, and even actively support and defend that system… just like in The Matrix…

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

It’s not about a specific mark… it’s not even clear if the mark is written on the hand or placed in the hand… but the term “mark” would seem to suggest that it’s visible… a mark… something on the hand. Anyway, the point is, it’s irrelevant… identfying what the mark actually physically is, that’s missing the point. God (if there is one) doesn’t care about what’s on (or in) your hand, he cares about what’s in your heart and the actions that spring from it… are you defending an oppressive system and ensuring others are slaves to it? No? Not the mark.

8 Likes

They’re considered clean. The “cleanliness” is down to do they ruminate and have a cloven hoof.

Pigs - unclean.
Camels - unclean.
Kangaroos - unclean.

Cows - clean.
Goats - clean.
Giraffes - clean.

Strange? Yep. Stupid? Yep.

3 Likes

This! Succint. :ok_hand:t4:

I think @amal hit it on the head here, and also the previous comment about being calm and communicative. If the cat does come all the way out @dloomis04, I hope it doesn’t turn out too bad for you pal :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, as of now, it seems like this might stay a secret, at least for a while longer. But now I have a better understanding of how to handle the situation. I’m sure the day will come when I have to talk to him about it, but I’m not ready for that to be today.

I guess the saying is true: loose lips do truly sink ships. I’ll let this be a lesson for me.

2 Likes

Unfortunate, as roo meat is really quite tasty.

3 Likes

Print out Revelation 13:16, it specifies right hand and forehead

tips fedora

Ok first. Let me get a few peeves of my own out of the way. Some of these rants against “religious people” (Which religion?) come close to hate speech. Yes there are some people who take a ridiculously literal approach to portions of scripture, and yes they suck up all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories, but that doesn’t mean that we’re all like that and it doesn’t excuse some of the bile on here. There are plenty of athiests who believe crazy conspiracy theories and I don’t go around spouting hate at them (although I will laugh at some of their ideas in the privacy of my bedroom as I do at some of the crazy things some Christians believe).

Now, dealing with your Dad. I don’t know if you’ve told him yet and I don’t know how he reacted but I’ve decided to necro this thread to give you a bit of advice on talking to it from a Christian perspective (although I’m well aware with a Christian upbringing that you might be able to try some of this yourself).

The first thing to remember is that the myth that did the rounds of the internet comes from the belief that the Greek word for “scratch” can be translated as “mark” also. Which indeed it apparently does. In modern Greek, but NOT in biblical Greek which is what Revelation was written in (More recent than classic Greek, older than modern Greek). So the “evidence” it’s based on is wrong.

However I wouldn’t argue this as it’s probably not going to convince him anyway. What I would say to him is this: A litte later than the part in Revelation which talks about the number of the beast and his mark it speaks of “Those who worshipped the beast and received his mark” being put thrown into the lake of fire. The point here in the story is that this was a choice. It wasn’t just a random decision to accept a mark in order to get stuff on ebay or get entry to your local supermarket. It was a choice to worship “The beast” (As part of a blasphemous trinity of men) and to recieve his sign or symbol on their forehead or hand as a sign of that worship. Later in Revelation those who are taken into heaven recieve the name of God on their hand and forehead.

So you could possibly explain this to him and it might work.

Or threaten to make a blood sacrifice to Baphomet if he doesn’t stop being silly. That could work too :wink:

You also might want to show him this article:

I’m pretty sure Rosco was the only one spewing vitriol against religion in this thread. As for the specific religion, I think most of these English speakers are dealing with flavors of Christianity.

@dloomis04 I hope everything has turned out okay for you. Keep us posted, mate.

2 Likes

Copying from a comment I made a while ago:

The Bible says in Revelation 13

16: And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand or in their foreheads,
17 that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark or the name of the beast or the number of his name.
18 Here is wisdom: Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six.

These implants aren’t required at all, it’s entirely your choice. I don’t believe that the mark will be a “you have to get this or you’ll be killed” type of thing, but you’d think if it truly was the mark of the beast that it would be much more widely accepted. In addition, they’re not required for transactions. I also don’t see “666” glowing on the implant anywhere, so I think you’re fine :stuck_out_tongue:. In a spiritual sense these are no different from pacemakers or any form of medical implant. Heck, credit/debit cards are closer to that description than these chips are. Now, that’s not to say that the mark of the beast couldn’t be an implant of some kind, it probably will be, these just aren’t it.

You also seem to be missing the entire context surrounding the mark. Verse 8:

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the Book of Life of the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world.

So not only are we not being forced to get these implants, in order for it to be the mark it would have to be globally mandated. I really don’t see that happening with these chips lol. There’s been several objects in the past that were closer to matching the definition of the mark than these chips are right now. Even masks/the covid vaccine got closer since we can’t go anywhere to buy or sell items without them in a lot of places, and I can easily see them being globally mandated. I didn’t see near as many people freaking out about those being the mark as I do with these types of implants. (Sidenote: hate that I have to clarify this, but I’m not an anti-masker by any means, just making a point.)

If the implants start becoming required globally as the sole method of payment, then you can start getting worried. Until then, just enjoy it. They’re easily removable, so you’re not really risking much anyways.

At the end of the day though, it’s your choice. If you want to freak out about them being the mark of the beast, you don’t have to get it. No one is forcing you to (which ironically is what makes it not the mark). I’m just going to embrace them for the cool pieces of technology that they are.

1 Like

You also forgot about the left vs right hand requirement… get the chip in your left hand and you’re clear of eternal damnation. It says so right in the Bible that “the mark” must be “on” (not in, another aspect here) the “right hand” … left hands are exempt from the devil’s work.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how these people feel about microchipping pets?

1 Like

Probably differently than humans cuz pets weren’t created “in the image of God”

True. I tend to ignore that when I have to explain myself to the crazy religious people though since I have implants in both hands :sweat_smile:

That’s another argument that I tend to try to avoid. Small wording things like that could be argued to have changed in translation. Even if not, it doesn’t necessarily have to be literal. Even among theologians Revelations is a very difficult to understand book. It was also written in the past, with the goal of explaining the future. Basically, they were writing about stuff they couldn’t possibly literally explain in their time.

They don’t really care. There’s debate on whether pets go to heaven or not anyways, and honestly, the crazy religious people aren’t going to be logical enough to think about that.

There should be no debate, I know it is true, I saw a documentary…

6 Likes

The xEM highlighting in exempt here really got me.

2 Likes

First off “666” and “the beast” in the bible was clearly about Nero Caesar. You are not Nero… problem solved.

As long as the hands aren’t idle. Once a left hand is idle then there’s no going back!