Dermal biofilm patches generate electricity

Came across this,

My first thought was obviously… hmmm wonder if it could work subdermal

Not my wheelhouse though….

I can guess biofilms in a subdermal environment could be problematic either for efficiency or possibly toxicity… which brings us back to battery chemistry

edit
On reading it again, I didn’t catch the bit about it using evaporation in the process… thats probably a deal breaker right there

Still cool stuff, and if we are day dreaming… if we could nail down a method of transdermally transmitting the power, conductive tattoo ink or some kind metal medium
I’d still be just fine with wearing a patch on the top of my skin, powering something underneath

Issues with anything even kinda like this inside of the body is you probably need direct contact or light. 2 things not easily possible inside the body.

Here’s the actual study

The most important question with these types of articles is how much power is actually being created. Researchers rarely invent a new mechanism of action, they just do it in a novel way. The hydrovoltaic effect is an understood phenomena with pros and cons. Here’s the relevant electrical specs.

So this can generate 1uW/cm². For comparison the Widetronix betavoltaics can generate 3uW/cm² and that glucose fuel cell we talked about recently can generate 48uW/cm². A photovoltaic cell could hypothetically provide 150mW/cm². Honestly it kind of surprised they got the LED display to power up. They did use a large surface area in direct contact with water and lasered the surface into 6 series segments to get the necessary voltage though.