Disable Windows Lock Screen Screensaver for Easier KBR1 Use

I was going down the rabbit hole of posts here, and ended up reading through @anon3825968’s Login with a serial RFID / NFC reader under Windows and Linux topic. What really interested me was the first reply in the thread that detailed how to get around the screensaver without manually hitting a key. I looked into replicating that behavior with the KBR1, but ultimately discovered that Windows really doesn’t like you intercepting and modifying keyboard input for some reason :stuck_out_tongue:. Luckily though, I found an easy way to just disable the screensaver alltogether, saving you the need to set up any complicated programs/scripts.

• Open the Local Group Policy Editor
  • Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization
  • Find the setting Do not display the lock screen
  • Open it and set it to enabled
  • ???
  • Profit!

You should now be thrown straight into the lock screen without ever seeing that needless screensaver. I know this will save entire seconds of annoyance and wasted effort over the course of my life, so I figured it was worth sharing!

2 Likes

Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the purpose of the KBR1 if it can only read out the tag ID, which itself isn’t changeable?

One of the biggest uses is logging into various things. Your computer, ssh, websites, etc. It just types out the uid, so it can be used to replace pretty much any password.

Well, there are ISO14443A chips with changable IDs, like the xM1 / flexM1 for example… but not super relevant.

Just a quick update to this: if you edit your power plan and set “Put the computer to sleep” to “never”, you won’t have to jiggle the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard to wake the computer before scanning your implant. You’ll be able to just scan your hand with no other fuss or intermediate steps.