Easiest way of disabling NFC in a credit card

Howdy all,

So I’ve stopped carrying a wallet with me on a daily basis and instead just keep a couple of important cards in my phone case. Overall, this has been working well but I have one issue where the NFC in my credit card seems to interfere with my phone’s ability to read NFC tags (including my implants!) With my old card I tried to break the antenna traces, but managed to partly snap the card in half. The chip and pin still worked though so I dealt with it.

Now my card is being replaced, so I’m wondering if anyone has a better suggestion for disabling NFC on the card in a less brute-force way.

1 Like
2 Likes

Find the trace and drill a tiny hole on the trace.
If you aim right, you will not notice it.

Dev made a youtube about it a while back … ill try to dig it out

PS: never mind, @Aoxhwjfoavdlhsvfpzha found it before i even finished tying :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

oh that’s brilliant! Never would have thought of that. Now I have a use for some of those tiny drill bits I have…

1 Like

I haven’t watched the video, only skimmed it… but why did he choose to drill right next to the chip? Seems like a damn dangerous spot to drill. Literally pick anywhere else on the card the antenna traces are… preferably somewhere far away from the contact chip. Break the loop at any point and you achieve the same thing.

Yeah I drilled on the other side of the card and have the desired result - no more interference while in my phone case! I missed the first time so now my card has 2 holes in it, oh well.

2 Likes

I never thought about this for stopping interference with a phone. I bet I could scan my Apex more reliably after drilling :thinking:

On my Pixel 7 I could do it, but the Pixel 8 had too much interference. Haven’t tried on my OnePlus Open, wallet case in the mail so we’ll see.

2 Likes

Converted my card into an implant. Problem solved :grin:

3 Likes

Gotta have a card here for a lot of restaurants unfortunately.

When I know I’m going to go out sometimes I grab my physical debit card or cash for ease, but most of the time I just tell them I need to tap to pay it’s my only option and they take me back to the POS with them and we can work it out. Worst case I either have the person I’m with pay and send them money, or I just don’t eat at that restaurant if I tell them tap to pay is gonna be my only option from the start and they say no. It’s never come to that though. It’s honestly been way easier completely transitioning than I thought. With the new CoM conversion it’s even more reliable than my phone honestly and I haven’t needed to use that at all.

3 Likes