Easy Guard : Push to start installation ( with easy removal option)

I didn’t mention this in my post, but I have left the cylinder in the glove box (could be hidden further if you wanted)
with a screwdriver and 2 minutes you could put the Key cylinder back in…

Again something I considered and would agree it is a very feasible option.

I wondered about this looking at how easy it was to remove… this helps

1 Like

That was a nice build, Thanks for the link, I had never seen that video before

In 2015, I was the first to propose this on Belgian television in Belgium.
I then ordered these from Amal on kickstart and if you watch the entire video you will also see that I had bought all kinds of smart locks to automate as much as possible for this time :slight_smile:
Since I live in Belgium and that American locks (deadbolt) I also had to adjust my door.
Today I am walking with 2 FlexMT in my hands, 1 xEM and 1 xNT, paychip and 1 cassox double magnet in my arm :slight_smile:

Of all the locks that were there then, the one on the front door remains, and I also ended up in the European smart locks from DOM.

https://www.dom-security.com/nl/nl/producten?sort=alphabetically

I have these 2 models throughout my house.
Work perfectly with the flexMT

For my mailbox:

For the rest of my doors:

1 Like

Check out Easy Guard Rfid imobilzer …
I think its more practical… but the push button is cooler.

What do you think of it?

The fobs are battery powered, and 2.4GHz, so not compatible with our implants

I think if you installed it, you would then have to bypass it…Therefore, personally not what I would call practical.

Although, If you wanted to install that, you could follow @turbo2ltr awesome solution for similar systems.

1 Like

What kind of chip does that use?

Rfid powered immobilizer is a system I would love to see.

I’m working on one but it’s taking a while. If you want something now you could build something with an arduino.

1 Like

@Pilgrimsmaster in Easy Guard Website, also in there AliExpress store , there are a few different Rfid systems. they have different price, product code, and in the product picture, the number pins is different.
But, i cant understand what make them different from one another.

Can you see what makes the difference?

This is an awesome writeup!

Do you think its possible to mount it in parallel to the key ignition?
So you can either use the chip or the physicals key.

Also, found one that looks “very similar” on amazon (US):

I can tell you the last one you listed was the most likely to the one I used above

Here is the link to the actual store I bought it from

NZ$ 22.30 49%OFF | 12V Auto Car Alarm One Start Stop Button Engine Start Push RFID Lock Ignition Switch Keyless Entry Anti-theft System RU In Stock

Yes, If i left the key barrel in position, I could have place the Start button elsewhere and I could use either to start.

see here

Or
you could just leave the keybarrel and a tool or two (this one only needs a Phillips screwdriver 🪛) hidden in the car.

That’s the understatement of the decade.

Do you leave the factory ignition plug pluged into the ignition?

There installation of this device includes tapping the wires behind and the pushbutton itself has tabs on it designed to go in and around the existing keylock cylinder and hold the button overtop of it like a cap.

I didn’t in this specific install.

If you chose to leave the ignition in, you would need to ensure the steering lock is disabled.
The easiest way, is not ideal, but you could cut a key short enough, turn the key until the steering lock is disengaged, and leave the key in the ingnition barrel. Just make sure it is short enought that sombody can’t simply turn the key to start, but long enough that you can remove the key when you, sell the car for example.

2 Likes

nice. my vw had the steering lock disabled by a local garage … he used a pin so it could be re-enabled easily. it makes sense though that you would normally have to remove the lock cylinder to disable the column lock.

also how is the transponder situation dealt with? in my van I am honestly considering just inserting the key, turning it to unlock the column, and breaking off the key inside the lock… then extracting the transponder and taping it to the underside of the start button so it’s being held in the right place but still hidden.

Yeah, its a long post, I dont blame you for missing it :wink:

I’ve got one of these push to start buttons that’s been sitting in my car for a year now. Maybe necroing this thread will kick me my ass in gear to get it done!
iirc in the instructions that came with mine, it says there should be enough room to take apart the key and place the part with the buttons and transponder behind the push button to get around it.
Thanks for the awesome write up Pilgrim! Going to reference it during install. Much easier to understand than the instructions it came with lol

1 Like

If you haven’t taken apart a key to see the transponder before, the transponders come in a couple of differrent forms.
The last one I did, looked VERY MUCH like an xEM / xHT

They are made with glass and sometimes glued in place so just be careful when removing it. Other transponders I have seen are solid plastic. So much easier to remove.

With one I did, I found the immobilizer antenna around the ignition, and I glued the chip (glass) perpendicular to it, this worked fine, but it did remove the Immobilizer functionality. ie. Always disabled

But
For just a few bucks, if you grab a bypass module like i linked to Amal, that powers on when you power the easy guard, so the Immobilizer functionality remains.

Don’t forget to bench test for range, as you probably saw in my video in the first post, you need to have almost contact with the antenna to get a read…for my one.
Yours may be different

I have done a few of these, so if you get stuck, just ask

2 Likes