First xSIID problem - years after install

Hi, Everyone!

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the forum. I’ve missed you!

I believe I’m having my first ever problem with one of my implants. It’s an xSIID. I had stored a text block in it, and I went to overwrite that a couple of days ago. I used TagWriter to do the write of a URL, and I added the optional Description / Title. When I hold my phone to the implant, it lights up, but nothing happens on the phone. I tried to overwrite it again using NFC Tools, but now I’m only getting a write error. TagWriter can READ the URL and I can click it from there, but I’m worried that I messed something up. I have tried overwriting it again from TagWriter this time with no Title and a different URL, but I’m getting the same behavior: the phone does not respond on tap but the xSIID lights, and NFC Tools returns a write error when I try to write from there.

When I look at the FULL SCAN from TagInfo, it looks like the URL wrote to the first part of the memory, but the remainder of the text block I had in there before still exists after the URL.

NDEF tab shows as Empty. That seems very suspicious.

I would love some suggestions to make my blinkie act normally again!

Thanks, Cyborgs!

2 Likes

Need to confirm, are you using Android or iOS?

1 Like

Sometimes the NDEF records on xSIIDs get a little broken

You can use something like RawNFC to manually clear out the existing record and then try writing a new one, or manually write one and then overwrite it again

Here’s some raw commands to zero out the entire sector 0 user memory and restore the factory link:

4 Likes

It’s an Android - Pixel 10.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will look into this. :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

AMAZING! This appears to have worked. My tag now takes me the Dangerous Things Forum.

THANK YOU! :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

I had this happen to mine as well. I would see the light light up and I would get no response. I think it was after an interrupted write or something. But I was also using it with a custom app that I have when the write failed.

I had to reformat mine with raw nfc commands.

I did this (but the response above is better):

First I made sure I didn’t accidentally write protect it …

Then

I ran this exact sequence of raw NTAG hex commands one-by-one to force-flash a clean, empty container back onto the storage sectors:

A2040300FE00 (Resets the mandatory NDEF container start block)

A20500000000 (Clears the subsequent sector trail)

A20600000000

Just dropping this here

1 Like