Flex implant (walletmor) possibly rejecting?

I’ve got one potentially stupid question (if there is such a thing)

If the insertion wound is completely healed shut, can the implant still get rejected and grown out by the body?

I can’t imagine how that would happen. It’s not like an organ transplant where it is reliant on the body for anything. What would happen is that the body would encapsulate it to prevent it from causing any harm.

This might take the form of a granuloma or even calcification.

2 Likes

What if, for example, the implant was partially inside the fascia instead of under it? Would that even heal in the first place?

Honestly, I don’t know, I would imagine that it could if the body didn’t react to it. The only example I can think of is a splinter where the upper part has broken off, and the lower part is still in the skin/fascia. In those cases, I have ended up digging the splinter out with a pair of very fine tweezers, but the body was reacting to those.

1 Like

Matnets can grow out even when the wound is closed, so yeah, can happen. I think I remember a picture with a hole in the skin where you could see a flex implant, I think one of the jumbos.

1 Like

I hope they’re doing okay, haven’t posted in a while.

1 Like

Hmm yeah but it never seemed completely closed in the first place and there was the “rejection redness” :confused: I really hope they are OKey too :confused:

I meant a wound kinda looking like this:

20210716_184824

that looks closed to me… just the epidermis is flaky

1 Like

Mines a week old tomorrow, not healed but definitely closed

1 Like

Yeah it definetly is. With this…

I meant theirs:

I didn’t know you could tell through the scab :open_mouth:

Part of the scab fell off but I can see into where it was and its “knitted”.

Yours I’d definatly closed, mine get the same way they close up but the outer most layer stays dry and flaky for a while (xsiid was almost 2 months)

1 Like

Magnets are slightly different because they are subjected to forces which cause them to move completely unrelated to the movement of the flesh around them.

The photo of a flex visible through a hole looks like the flesh never healed over the top of it. Wounds like that usually need to be held closed so that they heal properly, and I would think that the pocket was not large enough looking at that picture. I am no expert (and I would love to be corrected) but I would think that you would want the implant to be off to the side of the opening so that the opening will heal down to flesh, even if it scars. If the implant is below the opening you risk it scarring around the implant and forming an open pocket (with increased chance of infection)

2 Likes

signal-2021-05-27-051714

2 Likes

I read that and thought “ok yeah I guess that’s possible” but then I thought about it more and I think honestly this only applies to magnets encapsulated in materials like silicone or parylene which have imperfections that promote rejection and / or biofouling. The xG3 and certainly the Titan should never result in this.

A properly closed and healed incision should mean the xG3 or Titan is “in for good” and should not grow out. The only other possibility I can think of is that they never seated properly and caused constant pressure / force over time which in turn caused partial or full tissue necrosis which opened a wound for the magnet to be pushed out of.

I guess my question at this point is - what types of magnets have you heard of that have grown out? Are they silicone coated?

1 Like

Yeah I guess I’ve only seen failed coatings reject. It was only a “I believe theoretically things can grow out”. I dont think it’s likely that a flex or titan rejects, but I doubt it’s impossible. I have definetely heard about silicone implants growing out, but that was more because of big sharp edges cutting blood flow off, but we’ve talked about that before somewhere…

2 Likes

I forgot this photo even existed and I remember now how cursed my hand looked for like 4 days straight XD

3 Likes

Glad to know that you’re still kickin’ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

tenor (1)

Seriously though, glad to see you back after a 2 month absence, hope you’re doing well.

2 Likes

mourning the loss of the implant, covid, finishing my diploma. busy busy busy.

3 Likes