FlexDF vs FlexNT What Are The Differences?

I was wondering about the FlexDF what does it do and what are the differences between the FlexDF and the FlexNT? Thanks! :smiley: - BioHacker101

@amal, Hi there I may be wrong but I think your reply got hidden for some reason? :wink:

ah noā€¦ i accidentally marked it hidden then unmarked itā€¦ i think the question is common enough for me to make a little video at this pointā€¦ coming soon.

4 Likes

@amal, Canā€™t wait! :smiley:

@amal hey did you ever post that video

1 Like

hah nope, iā€™m a terrible person :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m curios also :grin:

ughhghghā€¦ fineā€¦ i will dig it upā€¦ soon. hahah

2 Likes

:joy::+1:

1 Like

so i see the installation video but did you post anything about the differences? i am interested in getting one just dont know which i should get?

The differences are vastā€¦ both are ISO14443A RFID tagsā€¦ the flexNT uses the NTAG216 chip which is NFC Type 2 and the flexDF uses the DESFire EV1 8K chip, which is NFC Type 4. The flexNT can hold close to 1k of data in a simple memory page schema, while the flexDF can hold up to 8k worth of data in user defined ā€œfilesā€, each of which can have their own 3DES keys with specific permissions definedā€¦ or you can just use all 8k to store NDEF data for NFC applications.

5 Likes

Bump on this thread. I was intending to get an xNT to go along with my xEM (which I totally love), but after doing the research and combing the DT forums Iā€™m pretty well convinced that the range issues arenā€™t worth it. So now itā€™s down to a FlexNT or perhaps a FlexDF. The DF, as a Type 4 NFC tag seems to be ā€œbetter.ā€ Basically seems to do everything that the NT can do, and more.

Is that true, though? Is the FlexDF compatible with everything the FlexNT is, but then also has additional security and writing capabilities as well?

Seems like the forearm is a good place for these flat tags. Maybe Iā€™ll put a Vivokey Spark in my second hand now that the xNT wonā€™t be occupying that space!

ok i lied about the videoā€¦ no time to do it proper, also i look terrible todayā€¦

No, itā€™s not true. When it comes to RFID devices, nothing is the same as anything else unless itā€™s the same. An NTAG216 chip is not the same as an Ultralight C chip, though they are very similarā€¦ they are both ISO14443A, both NFC Type 2, and both have the same style of 4 bytes per page user memory organization, and they both have a 7 byte UID stored in the same exact places in memoryā€¦ but there are readers and systems out there that work with the Ultralight C but not the NTAG216.

The DESFire EV1 in the flexDF is ISO14443A like the NTAG216, and has a 7 byte UID like the NTAG216, and if you are building your own solutions around it or using it with your phone only, then the differences between the two are irrelevantā€¦ but if you want to, for example, use it with a Samsung Ezon door lock, then the flexDF will not work with it. In fact, some Ezon locks only work with Mifare ā€œclassicā€ 1k chips with 4 byte NUIDsā€¦ they will not work with NTAG216 chips or DESFire EV1 chips.

Sorry it wasnā€™t a more exciting answer.

2 Likes

Wow, nailed it. Thatā€™s exactly one of the things I want to do with it. I also want to use it with various 13.56mhz access systems at the office and other places. Maybe even Chuck E Cheese (confirmed that theirs are 13.56)! It would be nice if it was the same as the xEM, which seems to be compatible with nearly everything 125khz, but it seems like thatā€™s too much to ask for.

Seems like maybe the FlexNT is the more ā€œuniversalā€ between the FlexNT and FlexDF. The DF might be a higher class of NFC with even more capabilities, but that seems to make it more specialized and therefore less universal.

CEC uses Mifare Classic 1k chips with 4 byte NUIDā€¦ We had the xM1+ implants that had chinese gen1 sector 0 writable clones of the 1k and I was able to clone a play card to one. It worked well at the top-up station but not on the actual ridesā€¦ the readers are shit in the rides and could not read the implant. Also other chips like the flexNT could be read but did not work and could not be topped-up at the pay station.

We may make a flexM1+ some dayā€¦ that might be interesting.

Yes, but only because the T5577 chip morphs to conform to other chip comm typesā€¦ just to be clear.

Yes likelyā€¦ because itā€™s the cheaper chipā€¦ a home door lock isnā€™t going to care about security, so it wonā€™t care about DESFire supportā€¦ even if you donā€™t end up using the secure features of the DESFire, it still takes a little bit of code changes to be compatible just reading the UIDā€¦ and they donā€™t botherā€¦ which is irritating.

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent (and fast) responses! DT is awesomeā€“keep up the great work!

No prob. In the mean time I have explored the idea of making a flex version of the xM1+ā€¦ I have parts on order now to see about making a flexM4+ (mifare 4k block 0 UID changable product).

5 Likes

Would love a flexM4+ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just a note on the Samsung ezon ā€¦well, at least the one I haveā€¦ the read range of the xnt isnā€™t really an issue, because you have to to touch the lock to wake it up anyways, so your hand is already making contact. They arenā€™t like 125khz readers which seem to be always on.

2 Likes