FlexNExT and wrist size

I’m planning on purchasing a FlexNExT, hopefully sooner than later.

I’ve even decided on color - white LEDs.

Only thing I’m worried about; wrist size.

Was difficult to get a still measurement with a ruler but my wrist is about 4.5 cm wide.

The FlexNExT is 4.1 cm.

So obviously my wrist is wider than the FlexNExT, but is it wide enough? Will it fit comfortably on the back of my left wrist, and not have any bulge at the edges?

My initial thought was movement towards the entry wound when healing, idk if it applies for fleximplants tho’.
If it applies, it’s something your installer must consider, but then I don’t see a problem.

The other thing that popped into my head is. that the skin moves when you turn your hand.
So I assume even when placed perfectly, when you turn your hand you will see at least 1 side of the implant. Don’T think that’s something to worry.

1 Like

My wrist is pretty thin (for a man anyway) and it wraps around it just fine on both sides. The edge of the implants comes to within a quarter inch of the sharp “drop” around each bone on each side. So the implant is pretty close to the width of my wrist.

That’s when it’s centered. When I turn my wrist, the implant moves from bone to bone, but it doesn’t deform and stays within the width of my wrist.

I can try to shoot a video if you want.

Yeah, that would be great! Video please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay gimme a minute so I get my gear and try to do this without waking up the missus.

1 Like

Sorry it’s a bit blurry, but I didn’t want to make no noise getting the tripod out and all. Also, I’m no professional videographer :slight_smile:

The last bit is me trying to give a “first person view” of the implant as seen from my elbow, and following the twisting angle of my wrist, to show the implant moving from side to side. Not sure it’s very convincing, but that’s what it is.

4 Likes

Yep, mine did that. A lot. Bad luck, the edge up ended smack on the reverse side of the scar and irritated the hell ouf of it, and the backside of the stitches for quite some time. But it all sorted itself out in the end.

Oh awesome! Even with you trying to make it more visible, it’s still hard to see.

I’m hoping my wrist holds up the same. I trust that the installer @ThexTallxDude plans on taking me to can pull it off!

Also makes sense that when you “pinch” it, it becomes more visible. Seeing I will have it on my left wrist, I could pinch and show somebody with my ring hand, as if it were a wristwatch. So neat.

I normally don’t do that, but I tried to show you the edges.

I think you’ll find the edges are more visible with full-blow flexNExT, as they are stiffer. But at least with my doNExT you can see where it is located on my wrist with the center hole.

1 Like

So you say the edges might be more visible with the standard FlexNExT?

I assume there still won’t be much of a big difference, if there is any, at least enough to bother me.

And I believe you had said you believe the donut hole in your doNExT seems to make it hold it’s place better?

I wonder if there’s any excess material that could be cut out of a FlexNExT without removing or interfering with the two chips, so the flesh heals through the FlexNExT.

@amal have you thought of something like that?

The flexNExT is less flexible, so the edges don’t fold around your curvy bits as readily.

I don’t think the center hole holds it in place any better than the outer shape of the pocket. It might though, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.

There is no way to make a center hole without ripping out the LF part of the flexNExT.

I liked the bananas :banana: :banana: for scale

2 Likes

Guess what: I’m munching on one now, for my efforts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe dont place the flexEM in the center, but where one of the LEDs would be, then theres a little cap in the middle you could manually cut out…
Wait no I remember, we’ve been through this before.
Rosco already asked amal all these questions somewhere, look at the development of the doNExT.

It’s in that giant flexNExT thread somewhere. I can’t find it just right now.

We have been through this extensively. Amal had to work quite a bit to devise the doNExT. He even had to relocate the blinkies off-center to maximize the center hole, and IIRC it wasn’t an easy job for him.

EDIT: ah there:

2 Likes

While I’m here… @amal will the white blinky option be added soon?

article-2208051-1533FB60000005DC-756_306x423
Thoughts on placement? :doughnut: LOL

4 Likes

ah yes… soon sorry… probably add later tonight or tomorrow…

1 Like

Will the white LEDs be the brightest option?

Hard to say… they are good output though… on par with green