Free 3D-printed implant models for placement puzzles

Hey Dangerous Friends,

I just got my xG3 in the mail, and I’m trying to figure out where to put it. I can’t safely take it out of the injector to hold it up to my hand, so I SLS printed a tiny kit that has 1:1 models of the xEM, xNT, Vivokey Spark, flexDF, and xG3. I can mail you one of these for free if you like.

Some notes:

• Thanks to minimum order quantities, it cost exactly the same to print 77 of these as it would to print 1. I have 76 extras - just DM me your address and I’d be delighted to mail you a few. If you find it useful, you can send a few bucks to the ACLU in lieu of payment.
  • It comes all in one piece, and you can easily separate it with an X-Acto knife. Just be careful, the flexDF part is… flexible.
  • I’ve found these are accurate to within 0.1mm, but measure yourself to be sure.
  • The DT website lists the xG3 as 3mm x 15mm, but the physical packaging says 3mm x 13mm. I printed at 15mm to be conservative.
  • The material is fairly porous and might get dirty if you handle it a lot. I’ve given it a quick protective clear coat, but don’t be surprised if it ends up a bit grimy.

Hope y’all find this useful! Will report back once I’m magnetic.

7 Likes

As a new user I can only put one image in a post, but here’s the kit before disassembly and the xG3 model on my hand for scale.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This is amazing!

Yes the xG3 is 3x15 and I messed up in the printed packaging. That will.be fixed in the next batch.

3 Likes

Any chance you could release STLs? I’d host it for you on my web server.

2 Likes

Here’s the STL! The text was way too small and didn’t end up coming out. Also note that this hasn’t been optimized for printability - I’ve been using an industrial SLS printer that can print without support structures - but it might end up a huge mess on a regular FDM or resin printer.

dt_implant_kit.stl.zip (176.8 KB)

3 Likes

Most of us can toss supports in with slic3r or cura so that shouldn’t be an issue. What did you make it in?

I made it in Fusion 360, and I’ve attached the file. But a big disclaimer that the design process was, uhh, iterative and the file is a huge mess. Hope it’s helpful regardless.

dt_implant_kit.f3d.zip (766.6 KB)

1 Like