Getting NExT to read at work

I emailed the department that handles everything badge related. I told them I had a ring with an NFC chip in it and asked if they could enroll the UID for me to use it.

I received the fastest response I have ever received from anyone at work.

“no sorry company badges only”

I mean literally less than 30 seconds. Got a good laugh out of it anyway. :laughing:

2 Likes

Small update!

I found a tear down of the reader with the antenna locations called out on the FCC’s website. Nice to actually see my tax dollars paying off.

https://fccid.io/JQ6-SIGNO40/Internal-Photos/Antenna-Location-4601581

It looks like the HF antenna goes all the way around the perimeter, with the LF antenna being in just the middle of the reader.

I want to get my NExT perpendicular to the LF antenna correct?

I’m thinking I should start dead center and slowly move up?

2 Likes

Yeah. If I’m understanding these correctly, the LF antenna is on the back behind everything.

2 Likes

Looking at the first photo in “Internal Photos - Pigtail”, you’re right.

I’ve looked through a few of their readers now and it seems like HID just likes putting the LF in the back :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You can see it trigger LF first then HF at the edge. Despite knowing exactly where the antenna was, I still couldn’t get the field detector to work. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Seeing you get a LF read makes me very hopeful! After realizing the antenna is in the back I wasn’t expecting much lol.

Wil try again tomorrow and report back!

3 Likes

Haha, so the exact OPPOSITE of what I said :rofl:

I should just sit in the corner, shut the fuck up and Let the big boys talk

2 Likes

I still can’t get a read on the NExT, but I think I know why.

It just occurred to me today that all of the readers are mounted directly to metal buildings.

I figured this was bad, but I googled it just to be sure, and sure enough HID specifically says not to do it, and if you have to, to use a spacer (no spacers here).

So hopefully this!

2 Likes

It’s bad but also, the antenna is offset by the pigtail connector. The reader I was playing with is also on a metal wall.

This is the way.

If after that you still have problems, a flexEM, as @Pilgrimsmaster suggested, will sort you out.

3 Likes

Don’t have much of an update, other than I’ve (obviously) been trying every day work and a couple of different readers to no avail.

I did a reader that is mounted to drywall or plaster, not for sure which, it’s a pretty old building. Still won’t read.

I’m still 5 days out from a full 2 weeks though.