Glowforge is a great piece of machinery, however

Pretty sure all of the beam just bounces off. Amal calling it an expensive cleaner is probably right, it’s just removing oxidation/dirt/whatever chemicals they cleaned it with. The focal point on a CO2 is huge compared to a fiber laser. Going by the Epilog I use, spot size is 0.003", Glowforge 0.008”. Epilog’s fiber spot size is 0.00034".
Of course the picture with the Titan’s “ablated surface” is confusing the hell out of me. What material was it removing??

Typically yes… except for titanium apparently.

1 Like

Interestingly, my workplace is getting the newer / larger version of the exact laser cutter used in that video!

I really wish these laser cutters were better at positioning… I was looking forward to my engraved magnet :cry:

I was looking forward to one also. I would rather it have as much magnetism as possible though also. Looking less possible now, but I am okay with that.

That’s pretty cool. I guess I shouldn’t get my info from our laser suppliers, since they would be trying to upsell us on fiber lasers. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess also because Titanium would never be used for what we do, so I’ve never played with it.

1 Like