Got a call to come to customs and explain my order

Yea it’s legal. They are just utterly confused, and worried, since they haven’t seen these chips before.

4 Likes

That’s why I figured telling them it’s for chipping animals was a good idea - and not even a half lie neither. That’s the thing with bureaucrats: the less information you offer the better.

4 Likes

I think the animal chip angle is a good one, but not telling them that these products are for animals… they clearly looked it up and know they aren’t for animals… but telling them “it’s the exact same materials and technology pet chip implants use” sets the context for import control… it is like a pet chip, therefore if pet chips are not controlled products, then these should also not be controlled products, and customs should let them through. It is not the job of customs to ensure legal use of products they import, only that the products themselves are legal. You could easily kill someone with a pencil… are they going to call you down to the office to promise you won’t stab anyone with a pencil you’re trying to import?

4 Likes

Hmm that’s true enough. Maybe you should setup a fake animal chipping front to DT, to sell implants to people living in “difficult” countries who could pretend they want to chip their pet with non-FDX chips. Like Dangerous Pussies or something :slight_smile:

Oh man, you totally got the job of customs wrong: their main purpose is to slap tarriffs on imported goods and generate as much cash as possible for the state.

3 Likes

The only time I’ve had a call from customs was back in Australia when I ordered 2 remote controlled tanks that shot BB pellets (I was working as a game designer for Atari - NERF wars and such things were commonplace).

A week and a half AFTER they were delivered, they called me to ask me to explain “…what exactly these tanks are and do they shoot projectiles?” . I thought they were supposed to check things out BEFORE they release them to you :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

So you’re saying bribe them :wink:

4 Likes

Delivered? I never saw them. Must have been lost… or stolen!

4 Likes

WAIT!
I know what to do here. Ask to speak to the Manager! :rage:

Works every time.

7 Likes

In some countries, it’s a viable option. I used to work for a military supplier and we used that option more than a few times. The manifest had a line stating “consignment protection”, “shipment insurance” or something similarly vague, and physically it was a cash envelope in the crate. In those countries, all the crates arrived without a hitch - and without any customs inspection stamp despite having been visibly opened :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, small progress today.

Kind words didn’t cut it. This lady talked to her boss, another Karen, so I was forced to send a letter to the Agency and now I’m waiting for the reply. If all is cool with them I can come and get my package.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, for those of us who aren’t Serbian, what’s a Karen?

3 Likes

You are a better person than I.

(I also don’t really know what it is like where you live, so I can say my next statement)

I would have told her that it is none of her business what they are for. I also would tell her it isn’t her job to make sure people don’t inject themselves. I would go even further and ask to file an official complaint against her for pushing her own beliefs and making it hard for you to get your “pet chips”.

2 Likes

You know, Karen. giphy (32)

She ask for the manager and tries to fuck everyone over to benefit herself. Tries to put her opinion in where it doesn’t belong. Thinks she is the shit. Karen.
giphy - 2020-06-15T085531.745

5 Likes

Karen is a term for a person perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary

4 Likes

Perfect definition.

1 Like

If someone called me down to a customs office and asked me not to stab anyone with the pencil, I’d jab them with a pen for wasting my time.

8 Likes

Thanks, I learned something new :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in europe. Hope that mine wont get karen’d

Did you know you can order Uranium Ore? If you get denied, just start ordering weird shit like that. You’ll make her head freaking explode.

Let’s see…
Gibberellic Acid, basically growth hormone for plants.
Neuticles. Replacement testicles for neutered dogs. Available in many sizes.
I think you can order Dog Soup from some countries.
How about Unicorn Meat?
Maybe somebody in the states could put an empty galvanized canning can (like for canned beans) with labeling as containg solar neutrinos?

The idea here is to give her an aneurism without getting the cops sicced on you. It’s a fine line, make sure they have nothing to actually complain about.

Also, this is obviously NOT a good idea if there is any chance at all of actually getting your order.

Karens respond to authority, perceived or actual. A letter from an attorney stating that the items are perfectly legit, with maybe just a hint of “or else”…

5 Likes

Trolling a Karen is not the best strategy :smiley: To be honest I can always pull the leverage of my job as a perfect excuse, but this thing is private and wouldn’t make the hassle worthwhile.

Hard to keep low profile these days.

Last thing I ordered that had them thinking is some pentesting equipment from Hack5 :smiley: Rubber duckies and other potentially malicious things were fine, bcse I said it was just an regular usb an wifi adapter :smiley: and they went with it :smiley:

But this lady had to google it …
Looks like it depends on who actually responds to you on customs side. If it’s some normal person usually it’s all fine.

2 Likes