Got chipped today

Well yes. But if you choose to be a medical professional, that comes with the job: anything you do is a legal liability. That’s a given. After that, a doctor can choose to perform an act for free or not - and quite frankly, if I had gone through 7 years of medical school, I wouldn’t work for free either.

Matter of fact, anybody who performs any medical act engages their responsibility. I learned that when I had first aid training: if you choose to mess around with someone’s body and something goes wrong, you’re on the hook. And even more so if you weren’t qualified to do it in the first place.

That’s why I’m always amazed that there aren’t more piercers and body artists in jail. Them guys tread a fine line.

@amal @anon3825968 I’ve been in many positions where friends and family have asked for advice, hell pretty much compete strangers have asked for advice once they find out what I do for a living but I haven’t turned anyone down yet. I like helping people and I am privileged enough to be in a position that in some cases I can help, in others I can sign post them to the most appropriate professional.

The majority of medical complaints are actually nothing to do with competence so I take the opinion that if I’m polite, act in good faith and give accurate advice then I haven’t failed as a doctor.

I’ve also worked with an incredible varied set of patients from trans-atlantic rowers to BDSM enthusiasts and really enjoy the unique challenges each of these groups brings.

4 Likes

You’re one of the rare ones then. I’ve lived in 7 countries, and I haven’t met a doctor who doesn’t at least frown at being asked medical advice - or even plain technical questions, to understand something in the human body, even when there’s nothing wrong with me. They just don’t like to talk shop outside of their practice. And I totally get it, too.

1 Like

I like you. I wish more doctors thought like this.

Yeah, I know all that stuff - it was just, everybody before basically started the post with “I’m not a doctor, but…”, and suddenly someone stepped up and started with “I am a doctor” - just found that slightly funny :wink:

Several actually are, even good ones that did nothing wrong. And believe me, most bodymodders have really good lawyers. And, sad enough, they need them. Had that conversation some time ago - actually, it would never even come to my mind to sue my piercer or bodmod-artist, as long as they were working correctly in terms of hygiene and all that. If I decide to try out an experimental mod, and my artist informs me what might go wrong or what might be difficult, and I still agree to get that done - then it’s not my artist’s fault if exactly that happens. Of course, if my artist choses to use second-hand-piercing needles or to tattoo me without gloves or whatever stupid stuff happens on this world, that’s a whole different thing. But I wouldn’t visit him if he’d work like that, so again, kinda my own responsibility :wink:

That’s a really fine and pleasant way of thinking! Reminds me of some doc who gave free advice on the darknet for people who had problems with drugs :wink: And since you’ve mentioned it - espacially in the BDSM-area, visiting a doc can be quite a challenge and might lead to serious (legal) problems, depending on where you live, so it’s really fine that you offer help that way :+1:

1 Like

Any news on that?

After keeping it elevated with a compression bandage it’s looking much better.

10 Likes

Indeed! that’s an impressive improvement. I’m glad for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update - yep, that looks really good! Keep it elevated a bit more, but I think you’ll be fine :+1:

1 Like

Glad to see it’s looking better!

1 Like

Way better !!!

1 Like

I hope it continued to look better! Any update?

1 Like

5 Likes

It’s gone down spectacularly! You took good care of it, well done.

1 Like

I don’t read this as “Lance the fluid” I read this as “numb, and then apply pressure towards the stitches/opening”.

If the wound is scabbed over and does not appear infected (not warm to the touch or red or obvious signs of pus) then I wouldn’t try pushing the fluid out of the hole (and opening the hole back up). Edema can be pretty excessive looking at times.

Glad to see that it improved without being opened back up.

After my flexDF2 install I had fluid seeping out for about 4 days before it stopped. First few days was quite blood coloured and then slowly got lighter coloured and less. Just changed my waterproof ‘tegaderm’ bandage each time it looked full or fluid and everything came right after that.

22 days later:

Still some mild bruising left over and discolouration over the flex but seems to be healing really well

5 Likes