Harassment for being a cyborg?

Absolutely! But it is, like you said yourself, scary as f***.
I’m not even “afraid” of death, but it’s kinda hard to simply accept that we all have not the least bit of an idea what happens… and how it will feel. And still, that void is fascinating :wink:

So as long as people don’t get on my nerves with their faith, I don’t judge them for searching some kind of… peace of mind, maybe? Everything is okay if it helps people feel better while not damaging other peoples lives. Even if it’s, to some degree, self-betrayal. But you’re right, it should be seen as that by educated people - it’d be interesting if any religious people would “admit” that, but I think they would disagree with us deeply on that matter…^^

2 Likes

I read this when I got up this morning, but didn’t have time to reply. Have had some time to think it through before I replied and I’d ask that everyone do the same.

I’m religious. If you want to have a solid intellectual conversation about, I’m all in.

But for a moment consider the way this thread is going. The tone. If this is the way we present ourselves, railing against believers and religions, then aren’t we just kindred spirits to the people who rail against cyborgs and implants, whose only real difference is which end of the ideological spectrum we are on?

I’ve met and disagreed with many conservative religous people who disapproved of my implant or my plans thereof. None of them spoke to me the way I’ve read here. Not one single person.

Pardon the pun;
I have faith that we can be better than this.

I would also ask that you keep in mind that when you disparage or insult religious people, you are insulting me. When you mock faith, you mock my beliefs. We may never agree on this, but I think we can at least be civil about it.

We should certainly be trying to be.

9 Likes

I see where you’re coming from and I do agree that some of the things said are a bit to aggressive (I probably added to it) and you make a good point.

my only issue with religion are the sheep that will blindly believe and say whatever the masses believe, it’s usually hypocritical and ignorant. this is something that triggers me to a certain extent. my GF is very religious and I end up upsetting her sometimes because of this, sometimes it just comes out without thinking when it’s about something that really frustrates me.

so all in all sorry if I insulted you

I Am interested in this conversation we going here about religion but I want to go back to the original question real quick and contribute my 2 cents

I work at target and have brought it up with a few customers. Usually it’s either “oh that’s really cool” or the same but with a " not for me, hate needles". One person said something about “radiation” but that’s 1 in probably 7 now that I’ve mentioned it to. I’m in upstate NY btw

2 Likes

I have been watching this carefully as it has predictably derailed,
PERSONALLY I thought it was mostly civil, However
I was going to split it off into its own religious discussion thread, but it really goes against the forum culture.

I feel, if people WANT to discuss it, i think the discord server, in its own specific Channel (similar to the politics channel) would be a better place for it. And MAY be interesting hearing opinions from different and sometimes polarising angles from fellow cyborgs HOWEVER I won’t make this decision on my own. I will contact the other admins over there, IF it happens It would still be required to abide by civil discussion rules over there.

IF you REALLY WANT TO discuss religions I’m sure there are plenty of platforms where you can do this.

I certainly have my own VERY STRONG OPINIONS on it all, and as much as I have wanted to, I have refrained from contributing because I FEEL this is not the space to discuss it.
The forum doesn’t need a moderator, let’s try and keep it that way.

Let’s keep the discussion ON TOPIC

Harassment for being a cyborg?

5 Likes

I must apologize here:

1/ Religious discussions always go south - be it on the internet or IRL. I knew it and I should have known better than to get sucked into it.

2/ Religious issues aren’t the point of this forum, and as Pilgrimsmaster pointed out, they contravene the rules of the forum. I should have known better.

3/ Religion is the one topic that is sure to get me all worked up. It’s my inner bull’s red flag. I always try to stay clear the hell away from it but… sometimes I can’t help myself. I should have known better.

So, sorry guys. I won’t derail this thread no more, and I’ll endeavor to avoid engaging in similar discussions in the future.

1 Like

Mate, like I said, I didn’t think it was too bad, and definitely not as bad as it could have gone. You also weren’t alone…
In all reality the harassment for being a cyborg and religious conversations were inevitable.
Just trying to quell it before it went too far.

I have derailed my own fair share of threads

3 Likes

Funny enough I never even knew there was issues with religion and cyborgs until I learned about the DT implants

1 Like

I never heard about this too.
Many years ago I changed my provider for my mobilephone, I got the chance to look at a list with numbers to get one - I was really surprised, a very cool number was still avsible - many other not so cool numbers were taken. I was thinking, why no one took this number.
After getting in 2017 my first implant, I found it out.
My number is on my website: look at this phonenumber: 9292666
I think it was the 666 that all orher people refused it.

1 Like

Apparently there is a small group of Christian transhumanists that view the Singularly as the period of transformation into heaven on earth. Or uploading our consciousness into the cloud as having ever lasting life, or something like that. There’s an episode of the Future Grind podcast all about them. Pretty interesting.

2 Likes

Yeah. I apologize if I was inflammatory. More power to you if you’re religious. I sometimes wish I was. Religion is what staves off existential horror for many people. I could use some of that right now!

Helping to point the thread back on topic,

I’m still waiting to get my chips installed (fuck covid)

A coworker who in general is an exaggerater and loves to stretch the truth to make some interesting implications was trying to tell me this in regards to implants

Oh yea, since Michigan (passed or introduced forget) a law that prevents employers from chipping employees, they could fire you fire it if they wanted now

… I know I know, that’s not at all what the law is, but it’s an interesting concept and concern of an employer terminating because of implants either for security concerns, or for… religious idealolgy, which I would hope would be illegal as discrimination but who knows these days with companies trying to hide behind individual rights

4 Likes

The company that manages the security system at my workplace (not my employer) told me in no uncertain terms that using an implant to get into the building was unauthorized access. Not because it’s an implant, but because it’s a clone of the “official” super-special HID security tag I was given.

Needless to say, I went ahead and cloned it anyway without telling them. But there’s always a possibility that, one day, one of the rent-a-cops comes by right when I’m presenting my hand to the reader and reports me.

3 Likes

Tell them this is the exact same thing as Trump suppressing covid-19 case numbers by suppressing testing. Their cards are not secure. Period. The cat is waaayyy out of the bag here, and if they want to control secure access to the building, they need to upgrade the system.

For a more nuanced argument, tell them that their 1930s jackboot approach to securing key cards might work for actual metal keys, but it will never work for RFID cards because attackers need not even alert their targets to the fact they are copying cards. The only real way to copy a metal key is for the employee to lose it or have it stolen, or copy it themselves… the latter of which you can somewhat discourage by threatening action against the employee… however, with an RFID card, anyone with a sufficient reader can easily clone the card ID without the employee’s knowledge or participation, from significant distance. The argument should be that use of your implant is actually protecting them from such attacks since an implant;

1. is much more difficult to read than a card
  2. has covert placement in the hand instead of known locations like pocket (card in wallet) or around the neck (lanyard)
  3. is impossible to lose or forget

Tell those people they are being little Donny Trumps about it and maybe they will understand their feeble attempts at suppressing the inconvenient truth about their insecure security system should cease… or the Streisand effect may bring actual attackers to their front doors.

7 Likes

You don’t understand: they are not people to reason with. They lay down the rules and don’t want to hear no argument. Exactly like IRS employees: they don’t care about what you have to say: THEY tell you how it is, and that’s that.

Not to mention, they’re a rent-a-cop company. They’re technically inept, as demonstrated by the stupid stunt I pulled the other day with their unpassworded NFC tags. My guess is, whoever sold them the box of HID tags they dish out to employees told them they’re unique and irreplaceable, and now they treat them like the crown jewels.

Very rarely I’ll get a random comment on youtube or TikTok about it… but nothing major. Though to be fair I don’t bring it up often either, so I imagine if I did, I’d get more haha.

Out of curiosity, do you have video there of cyborgish stuff? Implant vids perhaps?

It may just be that they put 2 and 2 together. Someone with a little background and technical thinking embarrassed them, and now here’s this guy asking technical questions about the exact same thing.

These kinds of people and / or their companies respond to authority. In their eyes, you have none. Make friends with the boss, and see if you can get him to ask if it would be possible to clone the badges to implants, cause he’s thinking of getting one. Bet they give a whole different answer.

Better yet, see if the boss would really like an implant. Once you show them what’s possible, they might go all in on it. Keys suck. Nobody likes Keys. Or little badges even.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s not it, cuz they told me to get lost with my implant before I messed up with their tag, and also because they never found out who messed up with their tag :slight_smile:

Yes, there’s probably some of that. But mostly I had the feeling they just didn’t want to bother: they did their job when they gave me the original tag and I signed off on the sheet, and anything else that would have been extra work. Also, the lady in charge of giving out the tags clearly didn’t want to take the responsibility for explicitely allowing me to clone the tag.

In short, it was just less trouble to tell me to do like everybody else.

Random references to the implants I’ve got in a decent handful, but nothing dedicated to cyborg stuff really. I do want to do some at some point soon though. Once I have my bookcase door built I’ll definitely make a video showing off opening it with an implant, so that’ll be something.

2 Likes

First more or less negative reaction today: “u stupid?!”.
But after some explaining: “yeah but it’s kinda gross”.