HELP, set up Apex as business card

I have seen your reply
I was just about to ask a couple of things

You have just answerd both by telling me it works.

what size is your file?
what are you using to read?

So everything works, just not how you want it to.

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Right! I’d like to have an NDEF tag that’s readable by the general public, most likely a business card or a link to my website. I want it to be easily readable by people with iPhones, and it’ll be no fun if I have to ask them to download a specific app and enable a specific compatibility mode within that app just to read my implant.

Notably, the tag is also unreadable by the iPhone’s built-in NFC reader app, which would be the ultimate goal - no third party apps, compatible with the phone’s bundled reader.

The fact that it works in the NFC app with Compatibility Mode is interesting and potentially points towards the issue, but doesn’t actually achieve the desired result.

I just tried with some NTAG215 stickers, and the built-in app can read those successfully. So the phone is capable of reading some NFC tags at least.

So, You dont actually have an issue, you just need to figure out how to do what you want.

Thats actually easy,
Rather than writing text, you should be writing business cards or links

Just to rule it out

I dont have an iPhone, but can tell you that they dont play nice with VCards.

BUT
all that being said, the solution is pretty easy.

@Eriequiet has an iPhone and is experienced in this area.
My guess is, he would suggest using POPL, he did a bunch of testing

There are some others to choose from, or look at if you wanted

:logo_nxp_tagwriter:

:nfc_tools:

Im going to move our comments from your first post to its own thread.

Feel free to change the thread title

The very first thing I tried - before trying plain text - was writing a URL to the tag. That has the same behavior I’ve described, it writes successfully but will not read back. I just tried VCards as well, and no dice. Writes but no reads. This is all with the NXP TagWriter app.

iPhone No Worky

Your best bet is POPL or similar

Can you use tagwriter to read the NDEF? My hunch here is that iOS is the problem and this would read fine on Android.

What iOS version is on your X?

Agreed

I think you can do it for free.

Something like get the address and add a /r at the end, it should be in the link i sent or, the next one I send…wait one

here

or

and another alternative…if its still being maintained…@yeka ???

1 Like

I’ll see if I can borrow an Android phone from a friend and report back!

Ultimately I’d really like to get it working with the iPhone, especially since these NTAG215’s are working just fine with the exact same payloads, so it seems at least conceivably possible. But checking on Android would be a good diagnostic step.

We know iOS does not play nice, Android does

I just set up a Popl link and scanned it
This is a likely the similar result you will get from your Android test

Or if you have a default app setup, it would go direct to the page

If you are happy to, DM me your link, I will write it to my Apex, and let you know the result tested on my Android

this is interesting… so ntag chips are NFC type 2, not NFC type 4 like desfire and smart cards (apex) are… iOS may handle working with those types of chips differently.

Can you post the payload using TagInfo full scan from both your NTAG215 and Apex?

I have my vcard at https://spreadid.com and it works fine

1 Like

Without using a specific app, iOS will read an NDEF tag and open a URL in the first slot only. I have linked my vCard and this works and will open in the contacts app, as long as you use Safari as your default browser.

1 Like

What version of iOS? Can you screen record a demo?

Sure,

Latest iOS but it has been this way for several major revisions now.

Thanks! I was wondering more about this. Have you been able to write a vCard record to NDEF and it opens your iOS contacts app?

In the past this has not worked but I will test and get back to you.