HID iClass Config cards

I realize this is more general RFID stuff not specifically Dangerous Things but I know many of you on here have experience with this sort of stuff so I figured I’d ask anyways.

I have a HID Multiclass RMPK40 (not SE, it’s the OG multiclass from early 2000s) and I can get it to read pins from the keypad and Mifare Classic just fine. Issue is, it’s just not even outputting a 125k field. I’ve run the diagnostic card through it and the red LED for 13.56 lights up but the green one for 125k doesn’t. It also won’t beep with 5 Proxcards or my xEM. Since I got this from eBay I’m assuming there was some configuration on their end that they didn’t wipe out. So, does anybody know how I can acquire configuration cards for the multiclass readers? I’ve searched high and low on eBay and found nothing. I reached out to my rep from ADI and he’s going to reach out to HID but can’t guarantee much in way of availability/pricing/whatever.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately I’ve got no help for you on this, way outside of my expertise. I’m curious though, is there a particular reason that you want to use this reader rather than one that is known to work well with the xEM?

Looks nice, I already use HID mode for work, having a keypad with it is nice, and since it’s Wiegand it’ll work with almost any Wiegand based security controller.

1 Like

I’ve never worked with HID readers but my thought is that it’s likely the reader must be sent commands to enable various “modes”… so LF might not even be enabled on the reader, hence no 125khz field… but where to start or what commands to send… no idea.

1 Like

Yes, this is the case. I’m in contact with reps from ADI and HID, I’ll update you on how this all goes and may supply others with these special cards if need be.

When you scan the card on android with something like NFC tools does the ID rotate each time?

I don’t know because I don’t have one yet. I believe it’s just a specially formatted Classic chip.

It depends on the model and HID is vague on purpose. My work HID card uses tokenization BUT you can add cards which don’t. So my xNT is happy

1 Like

I know this is an old topic but I finally got my hands on a card yesterday. If anybody else needs one you can find them on ADI or Anixter, it’s HID part number SEC9x-CRD-[something else, depends on the card’s config].

It scans to my phone as a 4 byte UID, but according to the NXP app, it is a JCOP card. This makes a lot of sense as these cards can also carry firmware updates on them.

Another thing to note is that the SEC9X will only work with the iClass/Multiclass SE readers. Regular ones need a different part number - I believe it’s SFC9X but the application guide/website isn’t very clear. I learned this the hard way when I got home and the card didn’t want to get read by the reader. Pivclass needs a totally different series of configs as well.

1 Like

Some NXP jcop smartcard chips can emulate mifare classic as well as desfire chips as a configurable setting. In addition to that, they run java card applets (“firmware”) which can be changed or updated over the air… and I believe HID has a java card applet that runs on these which interacts with the system in a secure way. It is this applet we think could run on the Flex One if properly negotiated with HID.

Completely unrelated, I noticed 125k performance on the Multiclass SE readers is awful compared to the original ProxPoint/ProxPro/Thinline/etc series. I can get about 2-3 inches with a ProxPoint Plus (the smallest reader) and I have to be just about touching the Multiclass for it to be picked up. Card performance is also diminished; I can get about 5 inches with a ProxPoint Plus and only 1-2 on the Multiclass SE. Additionally, the diagnostic card does not pick up on the 125k field, no matter how I orient it. I think this is more due to antenna coupling than anything else - when I get too close to a ProxPro the green LED will just shut off.

yeah they downgraded the size and quality of their LF antenna structures because the future is HF for them and they don’t need to really work well with anything smaller than a keyfob anyway… sad :frowning:

It’s so sad because I get sweet range with my xEM, and for almost anything with my xNT I have to be just about touching the reader. Really wish the 125k platform could be expanded from HID’s side, but then again, HF is really the way forward - for them, sacrificing a few inches of range in return for better security/more expensive products is not a big deal.

1 Like