Hornady shotgun wall safe works with NeXT with some hacking

I was recently fucking around with a battery powered reader
4x AA so 6V, I wanted a higher capacity than they could provide.
I had 12V supply near by, and I had a DC-DC converter, I reduced the Voltage to 5V, and as expected lost some range, but I was able to move the antenna closer to be able to read and it worked.
My lock was cheap, there was nothing in the specs about Voltage tolerances, so if my 5V option hadn’t worked, my next step was to put the reader on a bench supply, and dial up the Voltage and measure ranges until something released magic smoke, or I got to 12V.

All that to say, you may still have options, but go for the easy stuff, before “blowing up” your expensive lock.

2 Likes

Silly question, but are you pressing a button before attemting a scan? The device goes into a low power mode if nothing has been touched in a while. The patent documents were helpful to me.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I meant to ask @beavis the same question, when I saw you do that in your original video post

It has worked with the tags that came with the safe, as well as regular blue fobs, and it is definitely 125khz, I have been able to copy the tags that came with it onto cards and fobs I have that are all working fine.

I am also brand new to the implant. I just put it in a week ago, and it’s working fine with other things I have. It’s the NeXT rfid+nfc implant.

Man… I have tried what feels like every approach with my hand, and the diagnostic tools. Fast, slow, every direction, not sure if there is anything left to try.

Never considered holding the diagnostic card behind a tag though, and I’ll give that a shot when I get a chance, hopefully tonight or tomorrow, been extremely swamped with work.

I have tried that, and the tags that come with it work fine regardless of pressing it or not since I am using power from the AC adapter plugged into my wall. I went through all of the docs, and your videos were very helpful as well. Next thing I plan on trying is reshaping the magnetic field like amal mentioned, as I think that is the next easiest step

:point_up:
THIS is likely the issue.

Give it AT LEAST another week…

inflamition may not look like it is there, but it is.

Give it another week and try again

Perfect

Nah. not just yet buddy, your easiest step is waiting a week or so more.
If Amal knew you only had it a week (actually only a couple of days at the time of your first post) He would have also told you to wait

Great choice

:hamster_emoji_gif:

Ok, that’s reassuring and also works since I’m pretty busy until next Monday the earliest. Just curious though, should I be having the same issues with the card and field detector too though? I’ll give it another shot later but as I typed that I remembered reading that the lights can be extremely dim and I should do the test in the dark. Really appreciate all the help I’ve been getting here

1 Like

Just some additional info, my locator led works super bright

3 Likes

I noticed you put the keychain inside the loop coil. You can’t put your hand inside the loop coil, so I’m curious how the keychain performs on the outside of the coil.