How does being a cyborg benefit your life?

Living without keys or password is great. But I’ll tell you one thing: it ain’t benefiting your bank account. I just ordered two more NFC locks and my eyes are still smarting from seeing the final bill.

I just made a quick back-of-the-envelope tally of what I’ve spend on various readers, locks and door handles so far and it fetches north of 4,000 euros. That’s mostly hardware I paid out of my own pocket to outfit other people’s doors and computers! And I’m not even counting the implants themselves, piercer / body mod artist fees and associated programming equipment needed to make it all work.

Ah! DT don’t tell you all that when you decide to jump into that particular rabbit hole and order your first implant. They don’t tell you that implanting a few inexpensive tiny machines inside of you entails having a lot of expensive machines peppered in the world around you to interact with them :slight_smile:

Definitely a first-world hobby, that…

4 Likes

In that regard, it’s a lot like falling down the rabbit hole of home-automation/smart-home devices… It’s just an Echo device… and then a couple lights… and then a lock or two… and then…

It’s much more convenient taking my laptop to a side job, walking away from it for a bit and then coming back and just scanning my hand to unlock it again, hehe! I’ve also set up most of my computers now with NFC readers for login. Plus (thanks to all involved), using Vivokey Vault to store my online passwords now too. The best is one of the reasons I wanted it in the first place… No longer having to have a fob on my watch for my house access control system, which would sometimes irritate my skin. I got rid of manual keys years ago, hehe, the last time I misplaced them was the final straw for me back then. Now this week, staying with my mom at her house to take care of her after an operation, using manual keys again, hehe it’s weird. :wink:

And I’m not probably not done linking stuff to these 2 implants, and am already planning another one or two implants in the next year :wink:

I wasn’t aware we had any actual users. That’s what I get for hosting development stuff publicly. Let me know if anything breaks, I can’t promise I’ll fix it immediately but I will have a look.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, I mis-spoke there, I meant the Bitwarden Vault with Vivokey login, hehe :wink: That’s what I currently have in use. Still thanks to you and those working on the development of the real thing tho…

2 Likes

Funny that nobody mentioned the following two upsides:

1/ You can entertain an audience quite easily - or use your implants as a talking point to strike up a conversation with total strangers. I do this quite often: when it’s too quiet somewhere: I conspicuously scan one of my implants with my cellphone and wait for the questions. It usually livens up the place easily for quite some time.

If you do it at your local bar and you’re a regular, you’re that’s guy that the bartender mentions when the bar’s convo circles around issues of identification, future tech, what humanity will become… And believe me, drunken patrons dive with surprising regularity into those subjects.

2/ You get to be a bit of a reference, even a source of authority, on implants and all the touchy moral, philosophical or religious implications of wearing implants - or lack thereof. As in, you talk, but I walk. It’s incredibly easy to shut someone up who’s talking bullshit about those things when you’re a living, breathing example of what they’re talking about.

Most fun of all: when the conversation turns to implants spontaneously (rare but it happens): you participate for as long as possible as just another guy with an opinion. Finally you reveal yourself as an implant wearer and you instantly own the motherfucker.

Even more fun: the bartender knows and doesn’t out you during the argument, because he too is waiting for the final grand slam :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s what I mean, i developed that specifically (the vivokey login part). There are android apps and stuff, I’ll see if we can send you some (unless you built them yourself haha).

I think that is my primary use case for a Vivokey/Spark. Payment would be nice too, of course, but secure passwords would be great.

I googled the vivokey bitwarden stuff. Seems the cert for https://bitwarden.vivokey.com is out of date.

Indeed. I don’t even know what’s hosting that instance, to be truthful. There’s another one, better branded, which is the “correct” one.

But neither are production servers, and I wouldn’t recommend using them. @amal

haha man… people be findin our secret stuff! anyway as @fraggersparks mentioned, it’s all development stuff at the moment… all the data could get wiped without warning… i really wouldn’t use it at all… but if you do choose to, make backup exports of your data regularly.

1 Like

I was going to recommend this, but I can’t remember if exports are even allowed atm.

for the plebeians like me who dont have the flex one beta, how does the vivokey password manager compare to something like lastpass (what i use now)?

i understand its not finished so how will the end goal compare…?

It’s not a flex one beta thing. It is an in-progress Spark login extension for Bitwarden, so we could run VivoKey Vault.

ohhhh ok, i see now. i musunderstood…

Haha I have looked at many of the subdomains and have seen some testing and dev stuff.
Nothing hosted public is really secret.
And sadly you didn’t activate my accounts there :slight_smile: and I dont have a spark.

i got a chuckle when i started getting activation alerts from you :slight_smile:

all in good time…

2 Likes

I live on a college campus with HID scanners on all doors, having an xEM probably saves me hours a semester fiddling with my ID card.

4 Likes