How to get pcProx RFIDeas to work on ubuntu?

So I finally have a working computer, I think.
I was wondering if anyone else has had luck being able to install the a program to see and edit the USB reader? I have this one:
https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers/dual-frequency/wave-id-plus and it has software to download to manage it. I did install wine.
I am unable to find a program that will allow me to install their software on my computer. I am running Ubuntu 19.10. I can also post this to computer forums if no one really knows the answer here.

Edit: Moved to lounge as it is changed to more lounge talk.

2 Likes

The thing has a Windows-only program to configure it - like most such products made by lazy companies that consider Windows support is good enough. There’s a slim chance it’ll work under Wine, but most likely it’ll be a lot of work to get it going, and most likely it won’t work at all.

The easiest solution is to install Virtualbox and setup a virtual machine with MicroXP on it, to run just that software. MicroXP is a trimmed down version of Windows XP, with all the useless cruft taken out of it. It weighs in at around 100MB, so probably not much larger than the confguration utility itself :slight_smile: Look around, there are plenty of sites and torrents you can download MicroXP from.

2 Likes

Tell you what, this has been a learning process. I got oracle VM virtual box installed, also microxp.

I am now attempting to share a folder with it so I can put the installation program on it.

Has been fun trying to learn how to fix it.

After 17 hours of grub command only loading, it was super satisfying after 19.10 loaded. Just makes me want to learn programming more.

2 Likes

Nothing stops you from doing that :slight_smile: But be prepared to waste a lot of hours on that too. Ask me how I know that :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, no doubt. I tried a few online coding camps a year ago at work, I figure I will give the Odin project a heathy go.

Alright, I will bite. How do you know? :laughing:

1 Like

100% biased but it’s not a waste. If you are learning things and/or having fun :smiley_cat:

1 Like

That was a rhetorical question. I pissed half of my life away doing that for a living, until I finally realized I needed to retrain and do something else. Programming is only fun if you do it for fun. Then frittering away countless hours doing it isn’t a chore.

1 Like

Oh boy. I wanted to learn so I can make a living.

Currently getting furloughed at the end of the month, so I am re enlisting in the Army. (I don’t even really support organized crime, but I want to work in the hospital helping vets.)

I just figured programming is one of the last few things you can get a well paying job for, without a college degree.

3 Likes

I personally find coding to be very fulfilling and fun as a career. Admittedly I started coding as a kid as a hobby and then found out I can make decent money from it.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I hope to afford my child that opportunity. I didn’t even own a computer until I was 21, only had it for a year or two.

Only 30 now, so not like I am super old, just kinda missed out on tech growing up.

1 Like

I used to go busking near my local shops, saved up for my first desktop. Seems like so long ago. EDIT: Fuck it was long ago, man I feel old.

2 Likes

I should have done that.

Crazy how the world is now, with most houses in America having a phone that has more tech in it than I had growing up.

1 Like

Well here’s a suggestion. It’ll equal 4 or 5 years of sucking but just here me out. The military is in bad need of programmers. If you watch the US Jobs site you’ll see plenty of civilian jobs for the military that’ll start you out at 60,000 with no prior experience. I got a job offer from the Marines and the inverview had no skills test just personal questions. As a vet you’d get that job no problem if you teach yourself just enough to talk the talk. Like I said it’ll suck because government tech job, but it’s an easy way to get the experience for a good job in the field.

2 Likes

Programming is a dead-end. I started out when there was a high demand for highly-skilled programmers. Nowadays you can find programmers under the stones, all equally unskilled at making good code. But here’s the clincher: nobody cares about good code anymore. All companies want is cheap-cheap-cheap. - unless you work in highly specialized fields like aeronauttics, in which case you need a college degree or two, or many years of relevant work experience.

What I’m getting at is, unskilled programmers without a college degree are outsourced to India, and even those jobs are on the chop with the rise of AI.

Tell you what: if you want a job to make great money without a degree, go into quality assurance: there’s literally no school for that, it’s all work experience, and it’s really not difficult. FInd a job as a QC engineer, then move up to QA, get certifications paid for by your employers along the way and after a few years, the money will flow in like no tomorrow. And if your areas of expertise are specialized enough in QA, you’ll never need to look for a job ever again in your life.

Not sure I would agree with that… sorry if you had a bad experience in the industry… but it is not a rule. My friends that went into software development are all doing quite well including myself. In my experience there is demand, you are treated well and I have had great career progression so far. I am entirely self taught, I did start a degree but I found uni to be very dull.

2 Likes

Well I didn’t say you can’t find a niche where good programming is appreciated and you’re paid a decent wage for doing a good job. Hell, that’s where I’m at now - part-time anyway - and I’m having a blast :slight_smile:

What I mean is, you’re more likely to find a shit job with a lot of crazy deadlines, overtime and crappy pay than the other way round in that field - ESPECIALLY if you don’t have experience (college degrees don’t matter if you have the work experience). And it ain’t gonna get no better.

I started out in the 80s when it was great. Then in the 90s, it was insanely great (but a lot of work - too much work). Then the 2000 bubble collapsed everything, and even with a lot of experience under my belt, all that was left was stupid frustrating jobs at companies that didn’t want to hear about quality code. Then I retrained and left that field forever.

I had it good for a good while, then it turned boring and underpaid for my skills, even with a long and interesting CV. Imagine our friend @Backpackingvet getting into that space now, where all the glory and the money is gone, the low-skills jobs have been outsourced, and the only fields that are truly in demand and in development are in AI, that require exceptional talents in maths. Talk about a career suicide move!

Unless of course he gets lucky and scores a nice job. It’s always possible. But the likelihood is that he won’t, is my point. Computer programming is the wrong horse to bet on, even if nags sometimes win races.

2 Likes

I am a very blunt person, I appreciate this line.

I have no intentions on leaving where I am at now to pick up an entry level job in IT. I figured it is something I have always been interested in, but never really undertook. I figure I have the time to dedicate to it now, so I may as well learn, build something, (make it include rfid) and give myself a pat on the back. If I ever get a job in the programming field, it will be because the job is interesting to me, not so much the pay.

It is way more easy for me to learn something, and work on it, if I have a reason and it interest me.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I didn’t mean to be rude :slight_smile: It’s just that if you were to start a career in IT, the naked truth is that you just couldn’t compete against seasoned professional on the job market.

I didn’t think you were. I was being serious. I am a very blunt person, and I appreciate upfront comments.

I was going to use my good looks.

3 Likes