I’m sorry, mom :)

But your baby boy is a cyborg now :sunglasses:

implanted the Next and the LED at work today (I’m a tattoo artist so I had our piercer do them. I took high quality video of the whole procedure, ill post it once I figure out somewhere that I can without losing quality. I didn’t realize how much bigger the led implant is, holy shit.

13 Likes

Yeah man… it’s only 1mm larger in diameter but it makes a big difference… the NExT is 2.1mm and the xLED is 3mm… so technically only 0.9mm bigger… but that last 0.9mm is significant :wink:

8 Likes

That’s what I tell my Mrs…

24 Likes

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

Also for anyone interested, I have an IPhone Xr and use the NFC Tools app for writing, and the GoToTags app for reading/testing (until I get my hands on an android phone I can dedicate to my implants). Both apps can read my NExT, and have been able to since about an hour after insertion.

4 Likes

Cheers, I will add that to WIKI - NFC phone performance

1 Like

From the apple support page: “NFC tag must be pre-encoded with a web link. If the NFC tag is not encoded, the phone will not respond at all”. Can someone explain what this means? I’m having a hard time researching the answer

Apple devices are very particular about what type of NFC interactions they’ll allow. If you’re using a reader app then then they should read any type of NFC tag. If you’re just trying to read a tag from the home screen they’ll pretty much only read NDEF records with the “URI” media type, for example a webpage. I think the newer iPhones (X and up) have expanded capabilities, but I haven’t gotten a chance to play with them. From Apple’s perspective it’s a security thing

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Any chance you could clue me in on how to encode my chip in that way?

Update: I might have figured it out

1 Like

I would recommend the tagwriter app from the company that makes the chips:

Here’s a step-by-step guide for writing a URL to your tag:

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you bud!

I have an NExT and an iPhone X with the SimplyNFC app and it works great too.

2 Likes

Did you put the xLED in the blade edge of your hand?
Keen to see that video; there is not a lot of reference material out there for them.

1 Like

Yes I did, but I actually haven’t run into a reader to test it out haha. Until I do, I’m convinced we did it a little too deep. Experimenting is fun!

So here we are, a week and a day in! Getting easy reads on my NExT without phone cases, and alright reads with a case on.

2 Likes

Assuming it’s a high frequency xLED, your phone should activate it.

It’s low frequency. High frequency was sold out and I’m impatient haha

Are you sure? I haven’t seen low frequency (125kHz) in stock at all and high frequency (13.56MHz) is presently and has been in stock in both red and white. Note that low has the larger number because it’s 125 kilohertz and high is 13.56 megahertz. Phones are 13.56MHz.

Whoops yeah its 13.56

2 Likes