(***) IKEA Rothult cabinet lock

ROTHULT Smart lock

INTRODUCTION
Are you looking to keep your stuff in your drawer or cabinet private from your siblings, parents, roommates, kids, significant other, etc.? This is an easy to install option that works with most furniture.

It comes with two cards (I forgot what chip it is but it’s ISO 14443). You can program your own 13.56 MHz tag to use.

TESTING INCLIDING READ RANGES
I tried with an xNT. I can sometimes get a read at 1/4 inch away. Otherwise, it is difficult to get a read with an X series implant.

Compatible tags I’ve tried:

• MIFARE Ultralight
  • MIFARE Classic (including magic MIFARE Classic tags)
  • MIFARE DESFire
  • EMV
  • FeliCa

Doesn’t work:

• HID Seos
  • Tesla key card

TEARDOWN

PROs

• Easy to install and works with most furniture
  • If you want to, you can desolder the antenna board and place it somewhere else
  • Low battery warning beep reminding you to change the batteries
  • When the batteries are about to die, it will automatically unlock

CONs

• Unsurprisingly, read range with X series implants is pretty poor. I have not tested with any flex series implant though.

• Can only program up to one extra RFID tag. I was somehow able to get two to work, maybe there is a firmware bug that somehow allowed that to happen? I can’t do that again.

• If you lose a master card, there is no way to get a replacement or program the lock with another card as a master card.

• When you replace the battery, it resets. You will need to program your extra RFID tag again. Thankfully, that can be done without needing to use a master card.

“HACKS”
I’m going to try routing out a part of my cabinet door to place the antenna closer to the surface to improve read range. I’ll update when I get that done, stay tuned!

PRICE
USD$29.99

LINKS AND RESOURCES

POLL

Rating by the community :robot:

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE ONE OR HAVE USED ONE

:star: = :poop:

:star::star: = :pleading_face:

:star::star::star: = :neutral_face:

:star::star::star::star: = :grin:

:star::star::star::star::star: = :trophy:

PRIDUCT NAME 1-5 :star:

0 voters

2 Likes

Can you dump the master card?
I’m now suddenly curious if they are just using the same master for all of them

2 Likes

Now I’m curious about that and the range with flex implants. I’m warming up to the idea of a flex in R3.

1 Like

I haven’t done much investigation into it but I suspect it is UID based, I’ll try using a Proxmark3 to find out. But now that you brought that up, now I wonder if they all have the same data. If that is the case, that’s pretty dumb design as someone who has multiple locks will likely notice that. Although these aren’t really for security, more for privacy.

2 Likes

I would double check this… from what I recall, this lock works similarly to how a hotel safe works which basically is like a flip flop for authorized tags… you tap a tag and that becomes the authorized tag … until you auth with it and then you can change the tag to any other tag if you want…

At least that’s what I remember? Am I going insane?

1 Like