I'm a student at The New School researching bio-hacking and transhumanism and want to hear your story!

Well, you could as well say it belongs to the birds, the wind, the sea, the soil, the trees or the stones. I think we have not more right to claim this planet than anyone else inhabiting it.
Obviously, mankind has a lot more impact on the planet than all others, but that’s not enough reason to say “hey, this all belongs to us” - at least not for me :wink:

Edit: okay, I might just have a problem with ownage of living beings in general :woman_shrugging: :wink:

Humans have laid claim to it, and terraformed a lot of it. It belongs to us - until the bird or the stones or the monkeys come forward and say “Hey, we were here first!” that is. But they haven’t so far. And when they do, we’ll wage war on them over our right to steal their land. Just ask the American first nations or the Abos.

Okay then, let’s abolish private property. I’ll swing by your place next week to take your stuff shall I? :slight_smile:

Property is a thing, like it or not. We may be morally obligated to be good custodians of the world we laid claim to (and probably we should for our own sake too) but it’s ours alright.

And then it’ll be the machines’ and they may wage war on us for ownership :slight_smile:

Funny you say that because the world is owned by rich old men.

3 Likes

That’s too anthropocentric for me, so I just decide not to see it that way and not to behave like I own the world. I know it’s the way it all goes now, but I don’t have to agree :wink:

Nah, like I said - ownage of living beings, not objects :wink:

You already do every time you take out the trash full of non-biodegradable plastics, old electronics, batteries, uneaten food etc.

I know, and I try to reduce that as much as possible… but I know I’m far from perfect.

Why do you think the younger generations are hopping mad?

Many in our system believe that ownership of this world or anything in it is a poor analogy. It’s a bad way to think. We are renting, borrowing, and we have been poor tenants so far.
There was a quote in Hitman 2 saying “The Earth is not something we inherit; but something we borrow from the next generation.”

Future machines will have greater self-awareness than us; greater consciousness; greater appreciation for beauty and creativity and life and existence than us. All of these are emergent characteristics of our brains, and our human brains are quite limited, as complex as they might be. AI can and will be designed far exceeding our own capabilities, and many in our system just want to be around to meet them.
~ Jamie

I think beauty is a bug in our brains. It does not exist.
I guess it’s a flaw in or side effect of our pattern matching algorithms or something like that.
I guess once machienes take over, “perfect AI”, they will have no concept of beauty.

Sadly they didn’t get anywhere with it yet and likely will not until they are rich and old and forget their ideals for $$$. I hope I’m wrong.

Well the young get old. My dad was a beatnik when he was young, then he grew older, got a job and started to worry about his car loan, his mortgage, his pension and his thinning top. My mom was a hippie and when the age of Aquarius had passed, she became an executive secretary and started saving for my education. Thanks mom :slight_smile:

Dreaming of a better future is the privilege of the young. When youth has gone, you worry about the future you don’t want, and you lament the future you thought you’d have that never came to pass.

ok boomer

4 Likes

I ain’t a boomer. I’m gen X. But do you realize how offensive that meme is?

Just sayin…

2 Likes

To deny a better future to the young is the privilege of the old :blush:

5 Likes

Great first post :rofl:

Please explain.
Shouldn’t the older ones live for the children?
Aren‘t the children our true kings?

Yes, I am not often here, but check from time to time to see what’s happening in this interesting part of the world! I found some comments of Rosco’s quite amusing and could not resist to throw my hat in the ring!

@MoeJoe I was simply reiterating what has been said here before; that old men are in power. Obsessed with greed and ego, they have all the tools and resources to create a magnificent future we have all dreamed of but refuse to. The old do not live for the young, nor vice versa, and to hell with kings!

I also feel it is human ego that leads to statements such as “the world belongs to humans”. We are a part of this world; it does not belong to us. It belongs to the universe. Humankind, our planet and solar system… some day we will all be recycled in perpetuity!

4 Likes

Am i the only to noticed the OP bailed on us a while back?
I hope we didnt scared them away :smiley:

3 Likes

OH I noticed lol,

I get the vibe they were just writing a paper for an assignment, with little or no actual personal interest
(I’m not sure why but that gets under my skin)
and found lower hanging fruit to meet their assignment

2 Likes

Haha, funnily enough, when it started to derail I was going to move the comments to the Derail thread, but I realised the same thing, and though “fuck it, I’ll leave it here for people to ponder existentialism”
What better place to do this than the DT Forum :wink:

5 Likes

Hooo … That’s what gets under you skin :thinking:

I don’t do face de book and such, but his is one of the only place I’m gonna keep hanging out … Y’all alright :sweat_smile:

3 Likes