I'm looking for this, and also sharing my dream for an implant

Yeah its a joke it costs litteraly pennies to make then in the USA they charge exorbitant amounts of money for it.

America the land of the business abusing dying and terminally ill.

1 Like

@Devilclarke

That’s just about right and it’s even worst when you find out this:

The man who discovered insulin - and gave it away for free (diabetescommunity.com)

Yep it’s really sickening.

That’s the reason we need to have real hero’s like those:

Biohackers With Diabetes Are Making Their Own Insulin | by Dana G Smith | Elemental (medium.com)

Insulin “Moonshiners”

Newer implantable models are capable of 90 days, and the newest generation cam even do 150. But you do have to implant them every so often.

Also, I thought the NHS covered those if you meet the criteria (not implying you didnt do the research, just surprised)

1 Like

I hope it’s not annoying but I think there’s value in specifying that all continuous glucose monitors are not implants, they are wearables. The Eversense is an exception but it still requires a wearable for power and data and still expires after 90 days so it’s a silly idea that will likely not be adopted by much of the industry.

1 Like

Oh, of course not! It sometimes makes sense to point out the obvious :slight_smile:
I was talking about the Eversense because I though that she was looking for implantables.

Yeah, you are right, unfortunately. For now, it is just impractical (you also still have to calibrate the thing twice daily by pricking your finger). I mean, who would implant a x-series every 90/150 days?
I’m think a proper implantable glucose monitor would be the size of a pacemaker, only NFC (or some comparable near field technology low energy), would still require a battery (but probably comparable to pacemaker would suffice) and would have to use some radically new sensor technology that doesn’t have coatings/enzymes that get broken down in the body.

if anyone out there wants to take a look some canadian diabetes things, this site is what i use :slight_smile: but here is the sensor.

1 Like

Only if your type 1 or insulin using type 2

I don’t find it insulting as I was prediabetic before I changed my diet… So I meant that literally, in my own personal case.
Sorry If you took it personally, it wasn’t the intention.

And yes, they are ridiculously priced for people with or without diabetes, here in the UK are £50, so would be that every two weeks. That’s crazy for that kind of implant. I do hope someone finds a way of making something like that but with some sort of rechargeable thingy for the compound used.

Problem is people, and people are always dumber than you believe

Manufacturers are very Leary of ever needed/letting customers do anything to a product

It’s far easier for them to just make something disposable, and only require a customer to be smart enough to open the packaging

Until society changes that “well you’re just stupid” is an acceptable stance from manufacturers

Otherwise you would have people… drink the refil, inject the refill underneath the implant, use 4 times too much, not use the refil and then bitch it’s not working, use something stupid for the refil instead of the actual stuff

There are hundreds of products that society could/should make serviceable / reusable , but there’s lots of cons, and no profitable incentives

3 Likes

The problem is that this method is based on particular enzymes to determine the blood/glucose level and those enzymes are wearing off, which is normal. That’s the reason the little needle thingy, which isn’t really an implant, has to be changed every so often. The same is to say for the device version which has a real implant. However, the price for the “refill” is probably to high.
There’re other methods to measure the glucose level, but nobody is interested to develop those because there’s no profit margin.

1 Like

Very wise words indeed!

More than that… we kinda punish manufacturers for expecting us to be smart, and reward them for treating us as stupid…

Take Microwaves…
Back then manufacturers believed we would not be so stupid, so they did not add obvious things such as “do not try to dry your pet in here”.
People decided to dry their pets in Microwaves, then sued the company for a cuntload of money, because they “never specified that pets should nnot be dried inside the oven”…

If memory serves me right, 2 years after this happened, another company was sued, also in the US.

American Airlines was also sued after a passenger had an allergic reaction to a package of Nuts, because on the packaging of the nuts there was no clear warning that the product might contain nuts (I am not joking)…

There is even a Suedish Chainsaw that had to add “do not attempt to stop the blades with your hands, face nor genitals” to the packaging… :expressionless:

On the other hand, when companies treat us like imbeciles, they not only appeal to more people, but if they treat us like especially dumb, we make fun of it on social media, which translates into free advertising!

it is tragic, but I sure doubt we would step out of that whilrpool without a dictatorship stepping in. :woman_shrugging:

Disclaimer: I am not necessarily advocating in favour of a benevolent dictatorship which would execute anyone who proves to be an imbecile. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Personally, I like devices to treat me as if I’m stupid by default, but let me override the stupidity settings if I want to piecemeal.

The thing is, even intelligent people act stupid all the time. That’s just human nature: we’re only intelligent and thorough when we apply ourselves to be. The rest of the time, we do dumb things even if we don’t mean to. I like devices to default to assuming that I don’t know what I’m doing, and put safeguards around me.

The problems today are:

• More often than not, devices won’t let me do stuff to protect me, but to protect someone else’s interests. Example: Google won’t let me access all my phone’s features, not to prevent me from doing something stupid, but to prevent me from disabling their snitching software.

• Devices won’t let me override the “safety” features: Google won’t let me root my phone. Worse, they go out of their way to prevent me from doing that. Despite the phone being mine, which… I don’t know how they haven’t been sued out of existence over this. Buf I digress…

Less nefarious examples: my fridge beeps when I leave the door ajar for too long. My microwave beeps when I leave my food in it too long after it’s done microwaving. It’s really annoying, but there is no provision to disable the beeping. The manufacturers simply assumed everybody wants the beeping.

That’s a profound shift from how things were done back in the days. Nowadays, all devices passively force stupid mode on you, or actively fight you to force it down your throat. I’m hopping mad about this.

1 Like

You’ve ever tried to disable the “bell” sound in the car if you don’t use your seatbelt and I don’t even starting with trying to make the radio keep playing music in that case.

That’s not too bad: all it takes is short the wires in the belt buckle latch. I did that in my car. It requires a bit of hacking, but at least it’s doable. That’s just a passive stupidity safeguard.

There’s still a difference between that and forcing stuff to be disposable that doesn’t need to be

I’m not usually the eco warrior, but making it possible for things to be less disposable is great and yet it’s currently trending the wrong way

It’s a super simple thing to prevent further destruction and unnecessary waste

Sigh, that stuff pisses me off, similar to every business leaving ALL the fucking lights on at 2am,

I hate sky light pollution

3 Likes

About $2 delivered

On track

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted a wireless seatbelt

7 Likes

Full disclosure, it is super easy to put on, you can’t even see or feel it, but not as safe as the factory one :wink:
:boom: :red_car:

3 Likes