Implant in foot: practical problem

:foot: = :+1:
:wink:

@NiamhAstra time to update implant sutra?

I gotta say, as unusual as it is, I love this idea :smile:

Dude, itā€™s magic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

magic

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Damn, Iā€™ve been using that setup since this morning, and it SO beats a tabletop reader with a hand implant! I canā€™t wait to stick a reader in the car.

How thick is your desk surface? Just wondering if it would read through my bamboo desk :thinking: :smirk:

My desk is a little over 1/2" thick. Matter of fact, a while ago, I tried to stick one of them readers under the desk, and it could read my EM4305 through the table and through my hand without any problem - provided I put my hand nice and flat on the desk. That too beats the ole ACR122U any day. I imagine those who will dare to implant the FlexNext or FlexMT will experience the same level of convenience with conventional USB readers.

Still, the foot placement still beats a hand implant for convenience by a country mile if the reader isnā€™t fixed at hip level, such as wall readers. I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t do this one soonerā€¦

I have a sit/stand desk so the foot rest wouldnt be as convenient for be as something that would move with my desk when attached to the underside. My desk is about 20mm, so around 50mm from the underside of the desk to where my implant is in my hand.

Yeah my desk has motors to raise it up to standing height. But I donā€™t know, working while standing just ainā€™t for me. I hate it. I keep trying, because my boss keeps telling me itā€™s so good for the back, but after 5 minutes, I lower it back down.

Standing on flat ground get uncomfortable for a long time. I spent the last 5 months at a previous job never sitting down. That from 7 in the morning to 6 in the evening 4 days a week.
Other than lunch of course, that is if I got time for lunchā€¦ :expressionless:

1 Like

You could mount one of those under the floor boards. Doubt the boss would be understanding, but at home?

Put it outside your front door, and you could fix it up to unlock the door, turn the lights on dim, a little soft mood music and the fridge pours you a glass of wine.

This would seriously freak out or impress a date. And then youā€™d know if she was a keeper.

Seriously, put one in every door way with timed instructions. Front door in the A.M., lights off. Front door in the P.M. Lights on. Bathroom door in the middle of the night, lights on softly.

2 Likes

I worked for 3 years as a gunsmith. I was on my feet 8 hours a day. But that was different: when you work in a workshop, you keep moving around, walking from one machine to the other, shifting your weight from one foot to the other. It was never tiring.

But here Iā€™m a desk jockey - meaning when I raise the table, I stand but I ainā€™t moving. Kind of like standing in line at the store. Itā€™s really not very nice.

My boss has some kind of a half ball that he inflates and balances on while he works. It seems like a solution to a problem that neednā€™t exist to me. The good lord gave us a butt that chairs were designed for for a reason.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the plan :slight_smile: I rent my current house, so no modification to the floor or anything. But Iā€™ll turn one of my readers into a smart doormat.

1 Like

FWIW guys, I took the bandaid off, and thereā€™s a large bruise spreading on top of my foot. Iā€™m not really worried, but itā€™s definitely a dicier implant job than in the hands.

Fixed it for you

2 Likes

I just tried the xAC: sadly it doesnā€™t have quite enough oomph to pick up the implant through my foot - unless I step on the antenna with all my weight and ram the chip down with my thumb. But thatā€™s not practical. However, it reads fine if I hold the antenna vertically between my toes, and from the top of my foot of course.

Also, the implant has backed up over half an inch up my foot, a little past the injection site. I believe itā€™s been pushed back by the metatarsal joint when I walk - i.e. it moved where it isnā€™t subjected to twisting forces, just behind the joint. It kind of forced its way past the tunnel made by the needle, and I believe thatā€™s what caused the (mild) bruising - which, incidentally, has almost completely cleared up overnight.

Pics?

Of what? You canā€™t see the chip - unless I push it out of the way on purpose, which Iā€™d rather not do while itā€™s finding its own space inside my foot. The only thing thatā€™s visible now is a scabbed dot where the injection was done, and some leftover blood discoloration under my big toenail from the bruising (it went all the way there).