Implant in foot: practical problem

Joke aside - and complete derail - I can’t believe more people don’t implant in the foot. Of the 7 implants I wear, that one provides the most useful functionality: it turns a slightly useless and awkward limb into something truly useful for non-walking purposes. The implants my upper limbs require that I quit doing what I’m doing with that limb to scan the implant, while I can carry on whatever I’m doing with my hands and scan the implant in my foot at the same time.

If any of my implants make me feel like an augmented human, it’s that one. I would never have thought before implanting it, but I immediately loved it afterwards. I want to implant a flexEM in my other foot, but I can’t quit figure out where yet. But I really want to augment my other foot as well, and make it work from even farther away. Just too useful to pass up.

Derail over. Sorry… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean… shoes? LoL

Honestly most probably haven’t given it much thought

You might have noticed that shoes wouldn’t be a problem with the long range reader. Hell, if you’re not convinced, I can shoot a video in which I wear snow boots :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe you, but most aren’t using “good” tech
Most of us aren’t even using good antennas to write to our chips, and we are the Rfid bio-pioneers

Although I’m tempted to take you up on the offer, just to say I tamed the savage Rosco lol

2 Likes

Well, shoes or not, you’re not doing anything with an implant in the foot if you don’t buy a long-range reader anyway, that’s for sure. It’s not like you’re gonna do a vertical split to get into buildings. It’s something you do to build a custom solution and improve your life that way. So the whole idea assumes that you’re willing to tinker a bit to get the functionality you want - meaning you’re going to want to buy suitable tech to begin with.

God it really is a derail now. Okay I’m out… :slight_smile:

@Rosco Can we see you doing it with shoes of some form on? If it works with shoes on, I’d almost be tempted to get one.
Honestly, what I’m really interested in is the range of LF xLED, if its great even through lots of flesh / potentially bone, I’d get some xLEDs for my hands / feet :joy:, but that ain’t involve shoes…:

There ya go:

It reads through 1" of foot (the implant is top-side) and 3/4" of sole and insole, and I still don’t need to touch the reader.

7 Likes

Actually for how much I hate wearables (i.e. wearing something), I do 1) only have one pair of shoes, 2) wear those everywhere. Putting a robust laundry tag into my shoe probably would have the same effect, and would be the one case where I could see a wearable being just as useful as an implant…

Though…

Now that I think about it… I do sometimes go out to my garage desk with my slippies on instead…

So yeah, implant makes more sense.

7 Likes

Sooooo… all our implants are made by someone sitting naked at his workbench? :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Just my slippies hahahah

5 Likes

How do you think he grabs those first person view videos with both hands working on the implants hmm?

3 Likes

Of course it does: what if you lose your slippers - or the missus uses them, logs into your computer inadvertently and sees what you been up to? That ain’t happening with an implant. You of all people should know that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Time to think about getting a RFID doormat, Rosco :slight_smile:

UHF flex implant.

In the forehead.

1 Like

Just a little derail - I hear this argument quite often, and believe me… you guys might be surprised if you would see what your missus is up to on her computer :stuck_out_tongue:

This is actually a great idea! Unlocking the door by simply stepping on the mat… I’d love that.

2 Likes

Ever since @anon3825968 posted that he was going to put one in his foot i’ve been tempted. He linked the antenna he uses further up the thread if I remember right. I have a spare NExT :smirk:

I have a reader set aside for exactly that purpose. I’ve yet to find time to link it to my NFC door lock somehow though. It’s just a matter of triggering one of my Yale Doorman’s remote with an Arduino or something, but I just ain’t got no time for that, what with work and all. But… it’s in the plan.

Just pleaaase don’t use Wiegand… it’s so insecure

Bleh… It’s an EM chip anyway. Wiegand or RS232, it’s only mildly secure.

The real security comes from the fact that my area has 9 inhabitants per square mile, they’re all honest people as far as I can tell, and you can’t see my house from the road because there’s a considerable number of trees between the road and my house.

1 Like

Dude, go for it - and buy a long-range reader to go with it. You won’t regret it: most convenient implant location you never saw.

You will regret it without the long-range reader though. Caveat emptor :slight_smile:

By the way, if you implant a NeXT and you want a long range HF reader that should work through your foot, the DL533N XL should fit the bill. I haven’t tried it though.