Implant in foot: practical problem

Why must you tempt us with such great ideas!? I need to save my money not buy another next and long reader…

To be honest, you’ll get the best performances with LF chips. I wouldn’t really consider HF for that application. It should be possible, but probably less forgiving than LF. So the NeXT would be overkill imho.

Just go for a cheap xEM, a RS232 ACM08Y and a USB RS232 patch cable. Even if you go the expensive way with the European reseller I linked to, you’re looking at 175 euros tops. Much less if you procure the reader on Aliexpress or some other Chinese reseller.

2 Likes

I’m actually wondering if I could use a foot implant and a reader under my car to trigger the “entry request button” on my car. Put it under the car a little beyond the pinch weld and all I would need to do is place my foot just right.

1 Like

:bulb:

tenor (57)

This one says it will work… read distance is around 30cm… so it says it can… … read from a foot… … rimshot

[[EDIT - random AliExpress find, I am not endorsing the product, etc ]]

3 Likes

Guess I’m doing it :smiley:. I’ll start looking at the wiring for my car and see if there is a simple way to tap into the entry request switch.

2 Likes

It would be fine (I have one -see video above) but this one is Wiegand 26. Unless you happen to need a Wiegand interface of course :slight_smile:

The listing also says it needs a control box and I have done zero research into that

You want either something that reads Wiegand natively to interface to it, or - like I did - find the RS232 variant of that thing, which is readily readable by a computer, but rarer.

1 Like

An excellent idea! :slight_smile:

For your car, what I’m planning for mine is a xAC under the running board. The antenna picks up the chip just fine when reading on top of my foot. In that situation, it doesn’t have to read through the entire foot, so it’s totally identical to a chip in the hand.

I believe it would work through the thinner top of a shoe, like it would a chip in a hand through a thick-ish glove. But I haven’t tried. I can try it if you want though.

One word of advice, in case it wasn’t obvious: never EVER implant anything under your foot, or you’ll quickly have broken glass to remove at the ER.

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s easy for us to just forget the obvious…
Well done in reminding everyone!

As an update, I found the exact module and a pinout that I need for the “Vehicle Anti-Button Entry System” or VABES if you like terrible acronyms :smile:. The xAC that came with my lifestyle kit should be ideal for this project. A small relay to trigger the doors will probably be appropriate to unlock or lock. Assuming my car key is on my person at the same time. Updates tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

For anyone else with a ND1 Mazda MX-5 this is the diagram I’m looking at. The module is behind the right front side trim in the passenger footwell.

2 Likes

Mark the beast from long range lmao