Implant maybe too deep?

There’re some posts in here talking about this issue. I just wasn’t sure and started this new topic. I think my NExT implant isn’t deep enough. I can see it somewhat if i move my fingers in a certain position.

1. Is it possible to move it closer to the skin by pushing it and moving it around?
  2. What would be the best way to reinstall it?
  3. Where can I buy the applicators without chips?
  4. What would be the best way to sterilize everything again?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there are many people on the forum with visible implants. I think you may be okay. As for the other questions I’ll leave that to the pros.

1 Like

That seems normal only a handful of my implants are even visable

Also your title and post are confusing

Are you concerned it’s too deep or not deep enough

1 Like

(agreed that your title is likely wrong)

It’s perfectly fine to be able to see it. If it’s in, it’s in. It can’t come out or anything, and there’s no problems with increased risk of damaging it or anything.

Most would consider it ideal actually, given that you’ll get slightly better range vs. someone with it deeper in their hand (very slight, though).

My NExT looks the exact same, with it slightly visible with my hand flat. If I make a fist, it becomes very visible. I like it, makes it easy to show people, and it’s a reminder to myself that I have it. Visible but unnoticeable is how I like mine, if that makes sense. Not severe enough to unprompted catch the eye of someone like an employer (like a tattoo would), but I can still see it when I look at it.

My xSIID sits a tiny bit deeper, and I actually wish it was a little closer to the surface.

This is just my opinion of course, but any attempt to move it or to reinstall it would pose a greater risk than just leaving it where it is tbh. Not hurting anything.

Not sure when your install was, but I definitely wouldn’t try moving it around. You would break through any encapsulation built up, and without the trauma of the initial needle injection, it might not rebuild fully, and you could end up with a sort of floating implant (a few here have this problem, the implant travels around their hand or arm, not settled in place). Far from ideal.

I did it with mine only a few mm within the initial few days of getting my implant, and it hurt like hell, too. It caused a sort of deep burning sensation, presumably the layers being separated with the blunt end of the implant, rather than the sharp needle like during initial install. I only did this because mine was in a major problem area (sitting along my fist), and it posed an actual hazard if it continued to migrate near my joints. Not recommended at all.

1 Like

Mine too.

@Intector I see you have mentioned that you think your LF side doesn’t perform as well as your HF side.
Normally, people make the opposite observation.

I’m not “having a go” here, but I wonder if your performance expectations are a little high for a small, cylindrical xSeries glass implant?

It will also depend on the readers you are using.

Do you have an xEM or xNT to compare it to?

Sorry about my bad English, I’m trying to say that I’m concerned about the implant is not close enough to the skin.

It looks tip-top for me.
Mine is very similar for years.

EDIT: NVM, just understood what he said in his last post :man_shrugging:

(disregard)

None of my implants are visible and they perform just fine. Think you’re good homie

1 Like

We are happy since 2017.

No I don’t have one to compare it and you might be right I thought it has a somewhat better range. However, I’m playing with the idea to get me a flexNT or a flexDF2 not quite sure at the moment. Also, I consider the flexEM to have a T5577 with a better range. The only thing what I don’t like on the flexEM is the 20 mm circular shape. I wish there was a version of the flexEM with the shape of the flexDF2.

flexEM in this style would be awesome

I ordered me some ATA5577C from Microchip and starting some tryouts with different antenna styles, going for some sort of flexible PCB with integrated antenna.

here the first prototype, it has a crappy performance.

Me too buddy, our problem is the antenna, unfortunately, we kind of only have 3 options
Wide or long or thick

Totally agree with you, the 125kHz waves are just too long and the antenna coupling is only effective enough when you really close. Sometimes I wonder that this technology is still out there, but I guess the technological evolution has it’s favors too. Those 100kHz - 150kHz RFID stuff are the Cockroaches or better Tardigrades of technology.

Nevertheless, I’ll spend some time with experimenting and testing different antenna designs for my ATA5577C chips and who knows I might find some design I like. The only other thing would be to convince Amal to package it to be able to implant it.

I attached the “125kHz RFID - System Design Guide” from Microchip in case you’re interested.

125kHz RFID - System Design Guide.pdf (3.1 MB)

1 Like

If that would be the only thing. :pray:

You could try shrinking the antenna by adding a parallel capacitor and increasing the input capacitance. Doing so reduces the read rate and gets you missed packets if you go overboard, but you might be able to find a happy medium. Since LF RFID uses basically no data it’s not like data transfer rate matters.

470pF and 3.45mH would resonate at exactly 125kHz and probably not be too bad performance.

You could also try filling the void in the center of a flex wedge style coil with ferrite to boost the Inductance. It comes in sheets, you could cut it to size.

The ATA5577C I got having an internal 330pF which would be not a big issue.

Believe it or not, but that’s exactly what I was thinking already. I got some of this ferrite sheet material which I normally use for my wireless power antennas. Another thing I was thinking of was using a 6 layer flexible PCB and make a multilayer coil. It probably would increase the cost somewhat but hey you can’t take no money with you when you die(except the two coins for the ferry man of course).

2 Likes

Good call, all very clever ideas. The added z-height of the 6 layer flex PCB shouldn’t be an issue as far as encapsulation since the ferrite sheeting is already pretty thick (by implant standards). If you want a second set of eyes on the design let me know. 6 layer flex PCBs aren’t cheap either so I’d be willing to PayPal you some dosh to offset the costs a bit.

1 Like

Have you seen the thread with my Inductance calculator?

Might be of some use. It’s pretty accurate within the 0.5-3uH range and can work beyond with a bit of fiddling. It at least gives you a ballpark idea which you can then check against other tools.

2 Likes

That’s great thank you. I’ll have a look at it.