Implant re-sterilization with Hibiclens (Hippo) Cleanse

Meowdy all!

So on Nov 1st I’m getting a couple of implants switched out (an ultimate gen 4 and a custom). And I was looking to move the flexUG4 to a different place. Part of the issue is if it would be sterile to just re insert the flexUG4 immediately elsewhere and my ripper doc suggested using a Hippo Cleanse. She says it’s a cold sterilization process and I wanted to check and see if thats ok for the flexUG4 before going through with it. I know they can’t be heat sterilized with an autoclave but am unsure how this one. I also know that DT offers a re-sterilizing service but I wanted to do all this in one day and have a spare if it can’t go through the Hippo Cleanse

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

My concern is for the implant’s integrity post-removal. From what I have seen–and experienced–a flex removal tends to require an aggressive approach. I haven’t seen it done without gripping it with metal tools. I highly suggest the inspection and re-sterilization service.

5 Likes

That’s a fair concern. In that case, I’ll just have my spare implanted in it’s place and send the original in for re-sterilizing and inspection.

3 Likes

Do you have more info about Hippo Cleanse? I don’t get a lot of results searching for it, but I’m interested in learning more

2 Likes

It’s a popular antiseptic solution used by piercers and body modders.

2 Likes

the reason you are not having much luck is because, it’s actually

Hibiclens

not
“Hippo Cleanse”

That should help your search results

Here’s a starting point

5 Likes

My bad, I just used what my artist sent.

Unfortunately all the info I have is that that it is a cold sterilization process thingy that she uses for magnets. That’s all she sent in her original response when we were discussing the possibility of same day removal and resinsertion. Sorry for the late reply and lack of info.

2 Likes

Seems pretty clear to me

giphy

12 Likes

You’re all good.
I just provided the info for clarity

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying! I now know that no hippos were cleansed

4 Likes

The cold sterilization route should work fine for the flexUG4 since heat is a no-go. I’d still follow the Hippo Cleanse instructions exactly and give it plenty of soak time before reinsertion.

The product is called Hibiclens.

Treating with hibiclens is not a real sterilization procedure. At best it’s a cleaning process. Sterilization has a clinical meaning that is not achieved through treatment with liquid antiseptics.

All that said, people have successfully avoided getting an infection after such treatments of implantable devices, but it does carry a non-zero risk of infection over something that’s been properly sterilized. I just wanted to call a few things out here.

5 Likes

I’ve used Hippo Cleanse on other implants and it worked fine, just stick to the full contact time on the label. Cold sterilization is the right call since the flexUG4 can’t take heat. For peace of mind, I actually took central sterile training before handling my own gear, and the protocol here matches what your ripper suggested. You should be good for a same-day swap.