Implantable Microphone

Good Morning,

I’m interested in installing a microphone, along with a secondary implant that act as an on/off switch for the mic, by way of detecting vibration in my throat.

Does anyone have any research on this avenue that they’d be willing to share and discuss?

Thanks,

Moose McGoose

1 Like

People have played with using magnets in the ear and a coil driver necklace as earphones, and I’ve always wondered if a magnet near your throat would work similarly in reverse, but I’ve never seen anyone actually try it yet

There’s no easily implantable solution for this though, there’s no pre-built microphone or switch implant, so you’ll definitely have to tinker

Or maybe just an external throat-mic is an option? They’re popular for use with radios

1 Like

This is unlikely to work how you’d expect. To make things implant safe we coat things with bio safe polymers, or other bio safe coatings. These polymers will stop any vibrations, microphones work off of vibrations.

Also battery powered devices are a no no, charging is hard, and implants in mobile areas is a bad idea.

1 Like

Hey welcome! I saw you on biohack.me.

What is the purpose you’re aiming for?

1 Like

Hello,

I’m looking to, essentially, record my voice, backing up everything I say with timestamps, and piping the audio files through a speech-to-text engine in order to make proper notes/tags.

From there it’s not a far stretch to write a simple search function to pull up anything I could have said in the past, at any given time.

Take that, alzheimers!

4 Likes

Even with external throat mics the vox detection is a second or more at least before transmitting. They work when using radio etiquette, call sign twice and mostly the throat mic doesn’t start until halfway through the first word not prior, whereas ptt (push to talk) allows you to switch to transmit before saying anything.

That’s just from my experience and i think throat mics have their place but for clarity and control over a transmission i prefer ptt.

I hope that gives you a better idea how they work and whether this is feasible for you or if you need to change any design ideas.

Cool in theory,

But there a LOT of other this needs that don’t exist yet

I wrote a whole thing, but it wouldn’t come out in the right tone

Basically, microphone might sounds like a a microphone wrapped in bologna
No power source below the skin
current implant data storage is 50-80kb

I think until battery tech (current tech limit) is tackled

I think you’d be better off canibalizing a wireless Bluetooth earbud, some of those run for crazy long, and you can rip out the speaker portion and make the battery significantly larger, without adding much footprint,

Clip this to your lapel area

Tie to Bluetooth to either your primary phone, or a secondary device dedicated to recording from that

Get someone good with code stuffs, to pipe the audio into some kind of transcription app,

Dump the transcription to the cloud?

Agreed. Recording and writing data to a storage medium is a very energy intensive operation. Even if you were willing to implant a battery in your throat (yikes) I doubt it would last a whole day. You’d need a wearable charging coil like a choker or something, and at that point why make an implant just make a wearable.

What’s wrong with having a wearable device for audio or even video recording of your entire daily experience? It wouldn’t be that hard, and it would have fewer downsides than the experience you’d have with an implant.

I guess it’s for covert recording, without the other party knowing they’re being recorded.

Well you’re definitely not going to have any fidelity recording someone else through your meatsack with an implant :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They said they wanted to record their OWN voice, mostly just to log :man_shrugging:t2:

Recording others could get into grey territory,

Some locations are 2 party and require both parties to know they are being recorded

…speaking of,

The google Alexa things, remember how it was eventually revealed that they DO infact record things,

I wonder if / why not… there have been any lawsuits of those things violating wiretapping laws…

I’m sure something’s burried in ToS, but I’m not sure if that would be sufficient enough to negate a wiretapping suit

Well the initial intention was to use the vibrations in the OPs throat. Now if they want to do that and covertly record someone else…

then I suggest…:hushed::drooling_face::tired_face:

That could work.

1 Like

I mean, I’ve thought about this before but connected to implanted bone conduction drivers and with a small wearable Bluetooth receiver or something along those lines.

Like an improved version of the Aftershokz with a better microphone. But this is way too much for listening to music without isolating yourself from the environment.

Not everything needs to be clandestine. My memory is bad, and will get worse with age.
I imagine I’m not the only one facing this challenge.

I want to develop a synthetic eidetic memory.
My reasons thus for making it implantable is that I don’t want to forget to turn it on; or leave it on the counter after having a shower, or what have you. I want to record my voice, any time my voice is in use.

I am open to the idea of a wearable microphone for the first iteration of the system while I work on the other facets of the technology… just putting feelers out presently to see what other people have achieved so far.

1 Like

For whatever my opinion is worth, I’d recommend building a wearable long before you look at implant form factors

Almost weekly we have people pop into the biohacking community wanting Implants based on stuff that hasn’t even been accomplished as a wearable yet

Don’t mean to sound like a gate keeper, I love implant tech and I want it bad

But you gotta crawl before you can walk, and you gotta walk before you can run

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice; I knew reaching out was the right choice.

Almost weekly we have people pop into the biohacking community

I understand that can be tiring, and make regulars somewhat distrustful of outsiders. I ask that you please extend me the benefit of the doubt in regard to my capability; this is just a good-faith request for data.

I am given to understand that wearable tech is beyond the scope of this forum, so I’ll refrain from discussing that field further and bring us back to the heart of this topic, research on the current state of micro-scale audio signal transduction.

Anyone got anything?

If not, I’ll get out my meme box, because slaps roof I can fit so many memes in there; cause baby, I got a stew going, and it’s peanut-butter jelly time.

Ever thought of replacing a tooth?

partial_denture

I mean that one’s easy. Just use a MEMS microphone.

:pbjtime:

I’ve dabbled with an implantable speaker. I don’t really have any tips off the top of my head that would be relevant to a microphone, but I’m down to work on the tech with you.

1 Like

That’s a fascinating project you’re diving into! While I don’t have specific research on hand, I’d recommend looking into the field of biohacking. There’s some cool stuff happening with implantable devices, and forums like Biohack.me or even Reddit’s biohacking community might be great places to share ideas and get insights.