Implanting as an imunocompromised person

this is just a general conversation/tip book(?) for people with immunosuppressant and immunocompromised disorders (diabetes, HIV, lupus, etc)

as a VIP (very implanted person) who currently has 16 current implants and 2 removals, I thought mine and your folk’s opinion on aftercare from an implant would be most valuable.

(everyone is able to use these tips as they please I’m just creating this to collate some knowledge on aftercare for people who are more prone to infection)
here’s some tips I’ve gathered from my experience I would love for anyone else with any good aftercare experience to drop them below :slight_smile:

• Anti infection ointment such as Halogenate phenols (TCP) and cetylpyridium chloride (antisep liquid) applied after install badnage is removed and regularly if infection starts to show

• pre natal vitamins - take before and after procedure as well as vitamin C, they promote good healing and strengthen your immune system to hopefully ward off infection.

• MultiVit - can be bought from your local drug store for cheap, used to just keep your general health up and will help with battling the infection if it shows up and will help with closing that wound ASAP

• Neurophen (liquid ibuprofen capsules) reduces inflammatory swelling and provides some pain relief

• if you do get infected, know the signs of what an infection looks like (hot to the touch, gunk at insert site, potential ooze and/or fowl smell) do not lance (stab) the infection that will create another hole that will get infected, if you can, apply pressure above the implant (not under it or you could force it out if xseires) and the infected liquid should come out, then re apply the anti septic liquid.

most importantly imo, be as sterile as possible when getting your implant, your professional installer should be doing this as standard but as an ICP you gotta take the extra extra precaution.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

7 Likes

Good post bud! You still got that removal you wanted my assistance with?

(disclaimer - not an ICP myself)

I’d also like to add that unless you are really sure you know what you’re doing, you should ideally be seeing a doctor at the first signs of infection, because some will require prescription antibiotics, and obviously as an ICP it could get worse real quick.

4 Likes

Exactly. Getting a diagnosis is critical as if you have say, a MRSA infection, you may require very specific medication to treat it, and sepsis is no joke. A friend nearly died from it and she is a perfectly healthy 30-something.

As @Equipter noted, it’s way better to be sterile in the first place than to chase an infection later, especially with a compromised immune system.

Especially for DIY installs, learn how to sterilize properly, like swirling a swap out from the intended site, and letting it dry after using alcohol or chlorhexidine pads/swabs, because it’s the drying out action that kills the germs, which Amal has pointed out before.

2 Likes