Inconsistent LF reads

Fucken AWESOME !!!

I don’t know you, but I already like you; Again your post has questions and researched answers

As with your first post, as I read, I had precomposed answers, then the next sentence you have the answer.
:+1:

This is possible, but difficult for us to tell you how without knowing the software, but likely relatively straightforward

Again difficult without seeing the software, but my GUESS is software SHOULD control them all, If physical, I IMAGINE it’s probably just a dip switch on each reader.

THIS is probably the easiest option of all, where normally the most difficult part is convincing the system administrator, but it sounds like you might have that sorted.

No problem as per Amal’s answer above.

Again great job on your research, I do have a couple more answers and suggestions for you though.

You have succesfully found the HF antenna by doing what I suggested above, and the occasions you have had a read on the LF was probably between duty cycles of the HF.

A couple of easy things to try

• Using your LF xFD, you should be able to find the LF antenna location. Plus you will see the Duty cycle ( This part could also be done with the diagnostic card), this will tell you what speed you need to present to allow a read.

• It is unlikely that the HF and LF antennas cross, SO, if you are swiping fow outside in and get HF reads, you could try presenting to the middle and slowly swiping outward…UNLESS your LF xFD tells you otherwise.
    Not the best example here visually, But this is my desktop reader, originally the LF copper antenna was in the middle, I moved it sideways, for “reasons
    It is unlikely your reader antenna layout will look like my modded reader, but more like the original, “antenna within antenna”

• This is also where a tear down of a reader would be beneficial
    Pull one apart, or find images online of where the LF antenna is

Another simple option would be to just get a dedicated xEM or even better since you don’t mind the pain and recovery time, a FlexEM for those readers

2 Likes