Is an iphone a huge barrier?

looking at jumping in here, but everything i seem to read indicates that my iphone is going to be a problem. I know it can read cards, but i gather it can’t write?

I notice that the NFC tools has a windows version? Is this the same as the android app?

Wanting to know if having an iphone is going to be a bottleneck for this for me…

many thanks in advance

I think there are tweaks out there to make it write but honestly you’d be better off using an Android to write to it. You could hook something up with an Arduino but you’d need experience with that.

NFC tools would only work on a select few number of devices, you’d have to have an NFC controller in your computer for it to work.

Thanks for that Bepis. I have just acquired an old S5 android, which I will use solely for setting up the chip. Might be handy to have an android for lots of things, but I am pretty indoctrinated to iphone. It seems however I am going to have top made exceptions if i want to do the cyborg thing :slight_smile:

It appears that apple is getting ready to allow it as there are a number of api endpoints that look like they will allow writing, however they are private at the moment.

Any way to get a link or source for this?

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting my iphone to read my implant, actually. Androids pick it up just fine, but my iPhone plays dumb no matter what orientation I try.

Any advice on encoding properly to be read by iPhone? I’ve tried writing it with both “NFC Tools” and the NXP TagWriter, both seem to leave it iPhone-unfriendly.

I’ve heard this also but honestly it’s not likely. Write a simple URL record and try it. Also what model iPhone do you have and what NFC app are you trying to use?

1 Like

I’ve currently got a simple URL record on it. Iphone XS, NXP TagInfo app.

I haven’t tested it with another NFC tag, so I guess I’m not sure what the best position/orientation is, which could be the problem. Feels like I’ve tried everything, though!

It’s an odd spot but it’s basically at the top of the phone… think of how Apple wanted you to tap the top edge of your phone at a payment terminal, kinda like you’re pointing a remote control at it… the chip should scan around that very top edge. Try different positions and orientations… but keep the chip right there at the top of the phone.

You can get an RFID reader on Amazon, such as the ACR 122u for $30 - $40. These will work with a Windows or Linux computer (Mac desktop too, but it requires little work). There are several Windows tools available for writing NDEF records like a web address or contact card.

Still, your best bet is to just use an Android phone.

I was just playing around with the CoreNFC and noticed a couple of undocumented capabilities that seem to point in that direction. If I can get something working, then I will share it.

1 Like

This was super helpful, nailed it! Still working on getting it perfect, but I know it works. Thank you!

2 Likes