Is it possible for the xLED to burn out?

My understanding is that LEDs can become permanently damaged if they carry too much current.

Is it possible to brick the xLED by exposing it to too strong of a source of 13.56MHz RF? My main concern is long-range readers. I use those a lot.

If I were to put the xLED right up against a high frequency long-range reader, could it be damaged?

3 Likes

Hey @amal, do you know what the specifications are for the LED?

1 Like

the possibility is real. this is partly why we use a white LED with a wide active voltage range… but it’s definitely possible. if you want to test on some, i can send you one for testing so you can get back to me with results?

4 Likes

@amal
Sure, that sounds good.

I recently bought the high-frequency version. I was planning on getting it installed soon, but I think I’ll hold off for a little while.

Perhaps I’ll take that one out of the packaging and start playing with it, and you can send a fresh one to implant, since mine will no longer be sterile. I can also check out the 125kHz version.

2 Likes

Perfect… make some vids and post links and we’ll get another one sent out asap :slight_smile: What was your order number with the xLED?

1 Like

@amal Order #8520 (October 1, 2019)

2 Likes

Would love to hear any updates when you receive the next unit.

1 Like

Just got back from a trip, so I can start messing with it again. I’ll probably use this project as an excuse to buy some new tools.

1 Like

Any updates?

Here are some macro pictures of the unit

3 Likes

I’ve exposed it to all of my high-freq readers, but I haven’t tested it with the most powerful ones yet.

At some point I’d like to do a more scientific test with a power amplifier / signal generator, but I haven’t gotten around to buying the expensive equipment yet.

2 Likes

The LED would be in the gloopy glue end… the coil looks fine… there appear to be some bits from the ferrite rod floating in the epoxy but nothing serious.

I wonder has anyone tested them with the mini tesla coil before? Would it illuminate at a distance.

125 kHz tags use a frequency near the frequency of induction chargers. So will putting a LF LED on a induction charger burn it?

it’s not supposed to, and LF devices will not burn out when brought close to Qi inductive charger that is following the Qi specification appropriately… but there are so many Qi chargers now from China that falsely print the Qi logo on and claim Qi certification, but actually do not follow the specifications at all… those ones will burn our LF devices, particularly the LF side of the RFID Diagnostic Card and possibly xLED-LF and XFD-LF products as well.

3 Likes