Is it possible to clone a university ID card?

Hey all,

Pretty new here, but I’ve been wanting to get an implant for a few years now. Just started seriously researching, as this summer I’ll be able to. That said, I’m a total newbie and would appreciate anyone who can answer some of my questions and/or point me in the right direction.

Long term, I’d like an implant that will be able to open doors, etc. and make contactless payments (which I understand is possible once Visa/MasterCard allows it). Would I be correct in assuming that the NExT chip is best for my needs, then?

Secondly, how does programming the chips work? Do I need a separate device, or is it possible to use my phone?

Finally, in the short term, the biggest use for my implant will be cloning my university ID (currently a senior and figure this is a great way to get comfortable with the tech). Before I pull the trigger, though, I’d like to confirm that it’s possible. I used NFC TagInfo on my ID, and the results are posted below. Would this work with the NExT chip?

Thanks so much for any advice!

1 Like

It appears to be a desfire ev2 2kb tag. It’s not clonable since the applications on these chips are secured well.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. So cloning is off the table, but would that type of system be possible to add to a chip, assuming the IT department is willing?

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

A couple things about this:
EMV allowing implants on their networks as far as I know isn’t exactly in the “near future” stage, so I don’t think that’s something you should get your hopes too high for.

At the moment, there’s only one pre-made implant that could actually handle payments, and that’s the Vivokey Apex Flex, the NExT will never do payments.

You could however look into a payment conversion, which has its own benefits and drawbacks

This depends on the type of chip you get, for example the NExT is actually two separate chips, one of which can be programmed with your phone and the other takes something like a proxmark3

As Amal said above, these chips aren’t really clone-able. If you can convince your school to let you enroll a new tag, you could use a FlexDF2 or xDF2. Though, I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard of anyone getting permission for that oddly enough.

And neither of those chips could do payments either, I believe

4 Likes

Thanks Aoxhwjfoavdlhsvfpzha! Unfortunately the FlexDF2 is a bit out of my price range. Do you know where I could go to find out when the xDF2 will be restocked, or a separate seller where it could be purchased?

As of ~30 days ago, the answer for restock was:

You could check Ksec, but I’m not sure of any other sellers

2 Likes

Digiwell only has the flex and Hacker Warehouse doesn’t seem to carry either. I feel like there is another reseller on the east coast but the name is escaping me…

Edited to add: Still no ETA.

1 Like