Is my xLED too deep?

I got an HF xLED put in about a month ago. My concern is that it’s too deep. I can get it to light up, but it’s super dim. Here’s a video of it:

That looks like an iPhone. If so, what you might perceive as dim could simply just be a very short duty cycle. It just means the LED is lit for a fraction of the second while the phone is looking for tags. The blinking indicates the phone is not actually reading the tag and it is polling periodically, looking for tags a few times a second.

Once you get a solid read, the LED should light and stay lit as long as the tag is in the field. Check out the orientation best suited for iPhones here iPhone NFC Scanning - YouTube

Also, if it is an iPhone, I prefer Simply NFC with Multi Scan NFC enabled to get a continuous powerful scan in order to get more usable data on LED performance.

1 Like

Dang, didn’t expect iPhone to be that bad. I normally use android, but iPhone nfc position seemed like it would’ve been better for testing. It’s on the top vs middle on my Android. Tried with my android, and sure enough, it lights up fairly bright

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I use, I’m getting some pretty good light out of mine. Recommend taking it out of the case and try it. Even a thin one like it looks like you have on will make your iPhone a tad finicky

When you have the case off, you are looking for the top 1/4 of the back of the phone.

One funny thing I found is if you put your phone perpendicular to the implant, like upside down with the top edge on your implant, you can get a pretty solid flash.

I think I have a faulty one then in that case. Mine only ever blinks, unlike my xSIID that will glow.

It only glows if I use a wedge

I don’t think the xLED has a chip to trigger a full read, so it only ever blips on a phone

2 Likes

Yup, and this thread, and this comment from @amal confirms that (and others). There are some things that do output a continuous field, because they’re plugged in, so power supply isn’t an issue. But cellphones only pulse to conserve energy, until they encounter a chip to read.

2 Likes