Is the FlexMN the "redesign" of the FlexNext? (Magic NTAG vs NTAG216)

Is the FlexMN the redesign of the FlexNext? Seems like it’s “better” in that it can emulate more NTAGs? Am I right? Is the range much shorter? It looks smaller.

Does the flexMN make the FlexNext obsolete? I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly before I change my mind from FlexNext to FlexMN.

I believe flexMN is currently your only option of the two.

Short answer: yes, it’s a redesign, the functionality is better, range is pretty much the same, though it is smaller.

Longer answer: the flexNExT had a propensity to fail quite often because of the antenna design, the flexMN is a response to that issue. It uses DT’s more usual copper antenna design as opposed to the bulleye’s foil antenna, which makes it more robust and (hopefully) not as easy to brick, and because of this, the flexNExT isn’t available for purchase anymore, as ItaBeAight mentioned. You should know beforehand that you’ll need a proxmark3 to set up the chip and changes its emulation, and that some people (myself included) have had problems getting phones to write to it. It’s not a problem using the proxmark3 to write to it though, and once the chip is set up the way you want it, it works exactly as it would as another chip (reads consistently with good distance on an acr or from your phone).

1 Like

That’s the understatement of the century :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, but reason why I was asking is because I don’t want to buy a FlexMN and then like a few weeks later the “redesign of the FlexNext” comes out. Seems like every time I visit their store there is a new flex chip. I don’t want to install something and have it be outdated soon after.

There will always be advances and changes. There will never be a point at which you can say “this chip will be all I will ever need”.

I would encourage you to look at your use case(s) and say “These chips satisfy my current needs” and use that to guide your decision making.

1 Like

Well, @Zwack funny you should say that; I composed this a number of hours ago but obviously got distracted before hitting reply…But needles to say I totally agree.

anyway, my tardy reply

The FlexMN doesn’t really “outdate” The FlexNExT because the HF chips they have are 2 DIFFERENT chips.
So it would depend on what you are trying to do.
What I would say is, if the FlexMN suits your purposes better you should grab one sooner rather than later…I messaged Amal the other day about getting a Narrow FlexMN, and from what I inferred from his answer was, once this stock has gone, he will probably not do any more

This was my interpretation, not Amals actual words, so do with that as you please, but if it was me, I would be grabbing a FlexMN now!!!

1 Like

I am revisiting my idea of getting an implant.
I like the idea of the flexMN emulation functions over the flexNExT, as from my understanding the flexMN emulates the same chip functions as the flexNEXT anyway?

My big question is though is that I really like the idea of having blinky too.
There doesn’t appear to be blinky option for flexMN available.
Are there going to be more with blinky at some point in the future?
Or is there going to be a newer flex that has the same emulation capabilities if the flexMN but maybe newer design or features, but WITH blinky?

@amal are you able to advise on any of this?

A single implant that did everything the flexMN does AND also have magic Classic 1K would be the perfect solution. (don’t know if that is possible though).

Much appreciated.

Wont happen.

It can do NTAG216 yes, not the t5577 side of a flexNExT though.

I’m a bit confused on that… the flexNEXT and flexMN both say they have the
15mm T5577 125kHz LF emulator chip

what does the flexNEXT do that the flexMN doesn’t ?

Oops then maybe it does yeah I remember. I was thinking small flexes. Sorry.

Fail inside you, but also perform a little better.

No stress friend… I am wondering though is the reason for the “wont happen” of the classic 1k and the magic ntag both being in the same device a technological limitation?

It’s possible theoretically, but when you’re already at the point of emulating M1s you’d do more chip types.

When you make a chip that emulates crypto chips you dont stop at M1. That’s smart card level.

So I’d say it’s more likely we get a “can emulate all HF chips, because you can freely program it” than a MN specifically including M1.
A smart card with changable ID or a completely programmable HF chip are just more likely I guess.

But we’re almost the only type of people wanting such generalized chips so… it won’t be happening soon.

Also they are very power hungy. The MN doesnt perform extremely well already. Now imagine it would also have to emulate the crypto1 part, or maybe DESFire with its AES. All powered from a weak phone field… Idk, multiple chips with dedicated hardware seem like a good idea, for now.

Unless that capability was in a single chip, (which doesn’t exist as far as I am aware), Having 2 HF chips side by side would likely cause you a lot of issues.

Yeah @yeka was correct…
The FlexMN Narrow had no T5577 But the FlexMN does.

This is unlikely; due to the LEDs being prone to failure and the performance of the Magic NTAG chip, So I don’t think Amal will restock them…
Unless Satur9 can manage to improve the chips performance by tuning the antenna, if that’s even possible and also adding LEDs to the PCB. As far as I am aware this is not being considered, so don’t hold your breath.

The FlexNExT is still being Re-engineered, so you can’t get it even if you wanted to.

SO if I was you I would be grabbing a FlexMN before they sell out and you can’t get another.
I wish I got a FlexMN Narrow before Amal stopped making them.

Don’t be a ME , Get a FlexMN now whilst you can

What about a FlexMT for the 5577/Magic 1k and xSIID for the NT/Blinkie?

A flappy with a side of stabby isn’t quite one implant, but pretty darn close.

1 Like