Jan 2021 VivoKey Apex update

Thanks for that info, still very helpful! I have a rough upper bound now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, I saw your posts of the new antenna shape, have you thought of a name to refer to that form factor? Wasn’t sure what to call it, hence my use of the word wedge (as opposed to the disk flexies).

Looks kind of like a band-aid :adhesive_bandage: haha

1 Like

Yeah me either haha

I’d call it a butterfly shape… nah?
Oh and wow what a way to wake up, 104% hyped.

NExTy Flexy McFlexFace

5 Likes

If all goes according to plan, this is the flex form factor moving forward. That means they don’t need a distinction, they are the standard flex form factor. The classic wedge shape is the wedge flex.

It might make more sense if we all collectively come to terms with how “beta” our efforts/interests are when compared to the products that will be accepted by the general population. VivoKey =/= DT in more than name

as a flexone beta person, wondering if our apex’s will be ‘unlockable’?

1 Like

this is still part of the game plan… but it has been complicated by one thing - the payment applications for mastercard/visa which are pre-loaded in the hopes that one day we can unlock that functionality with blessings from mastercard and visa… those will cause problems with the idea of unlocking the chip… we may end up with the need to make a “totally open” version of the Apex which has no applets on it at all, including the VivoKey identity applet we will use to link Apex to the platform with.

1 Like

Can’t you delete the payment applet?
I accept that bank apps don’t run on rooted devices for example, this seems similar.

Will be we able to write/deploy our own applets on our devices (developer mode, if you will)?
What happens if Fidesmo decides to go up in flames?

it is being explored… there are elements of these applets built deeper into the chip… nxp is the maker of these applets and it’s tied to the chip’s rom mask…

yes just get a free developer account with fidesmo and you can deploy your own applets with ease. if you want to publish those applets on fidesmo there is a process for that but it’s not that hard.

this is the other reason for needing an “unlock” option for the chips… we are working on sorting it out.

4 Likes

But, theoretically, once the applet is on there, it doesn’t matter if anything happens to the issuer?

once again it’s more about policy and intertwined agreements than technical difficulties. unlocking the chip would mean master key access to the applet security domain and that is not allowed at any time as per the agreement. considering that every single other use case for these chips + payment applets is to go into a card that gets tossed in a few years, it is never a problem but now with our use case and wanting to be able to unlock the chip and give the customer the master key… we’re tripping over these issues that others (fidesmo) have agreed to… but we are working on waivers etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile: and for working so hard to bring this to market

4 Likes

This is excellent. I can feel my mind more at ease with never having to remember another password, or significantly less.

I Copy and pasted this to the Reddit page.

2 Likes

There’s a Reddit?

1 Like

There is (Kind of) a Vivokey one,
But too many platforms in my opinion.
Great to get the word out but sheesh…Soooo many

2 Likes

Kinda? I was interested in this way back, so I went to the reddit and some guy had made one. I got Modded.

but…

Pretty much this. I generally redirect people here. I don’t have time to try to get a dead subreddit going. Also, pretty much only jumped into the role for when it takes off.

1 Like

Fuckin Wild, I cant wait.

1 Like

Dang. It’s coming out at a time I can’t really go somewhere to get it installed without having to worry about the health implications, due to COVD…

:unamused:

1 Like