June 2022 VivoKey Apex Flex update

Ok cool, that’s going to be my main starting use case for an apex

What’s the situation with iOS? I know it’s sort of not working right now…. But is it actually broken or incompatible, or just a couple slight tweaks needed?

It’s a bug that hides the button you need to tap to pick an app to deploy, but you can manually deploy apps

1 Like

Looks “broken” currently with a stop gap work around

This one has the fido…

So it has support for FIDO directly on the chip that doesn’t depend on the VivoKey servers. Ok, I’m sold!

That needle was only one millimeter thicker than the one for a 3mm glassie, right? And I’m going to have to start reading about the aftercare for flexies.

Now why did the Apex become available at the worst time for me, I’ve traveling a bit lately, I still need to find a new installer, and international shipping can be annoying… I think I’ll pick one up when things start to settle down.

full disclosure: I’m still migrating to Apex from the Flex One, but there is an overlap of functionality, so what I say below should apply to Apex with no change.

I’ve been using pass (https://www.passwordstore.org/) with an ssh key stored in my Flex One for years and honestly I could not live without this anymore :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sort of? But I really wouldn’t like at it like that

It only hurts a smidge more than a 3mm injector, I did it with any numbing and it was fine… it only hurts more because it’s more of a fight to get it to “pop” through the skin, once your in its w/e

but that needle is chonky

2 Likes

Hmmm, it is only 1mm bigger but it gets shoved a long way in once it’s under the skin and there are twice as many operations on the part of the person implanting so I think it’s pretty intense for them too.

I have to say it was a very intense experience for me and by the end of it I think I was partially in shock, my hands were numb and my head was all tingly. I was already lying down thankfully and when I sat up I had to lie down a bit longer still. :sweat_smile:

I didn’t find the healing process difficult other than having reduced grip strength in that hand for a week or two, mainly out of fear of upsetting something by gripping too hard.

As always everyone’s experience will differ and it wouldn’t put me off getting another flex the same way.

1 Like

That’s crazy! I watched my Apex install the entire time and didn’t get much more pain than a tattoo. I hopped up and drove home right after with no issues. Just goes to show everyone’s body is different!

2 Likes

Sounds like Vasovagal,
Everyone’s different and have different points when that will kick in, but there’s a lot of things that can raise or lower the bar

I am diagnosed ASD and have some hyper and hypo sensitivities, so I’m sure that’s got much to do with it.

I’m sure there is a message in here, I’m just not seeing it :wink:

6 Likes

I saw the message immediately, I guess that just goes to show we’re all different :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I dont even want to think about it.

Is this an open or closed source situation? Can I do anything to help or contribute?

Check out github.com/vivokey repos … applets for Apex are, for the most part, open source. Some private projects in the works for specific partnerships being explored, but we tend to lean hard on making things OSS.

13 Likes

Question - what hardware would I need to use the FIDO2 functionality of the Apex Flex to use it as 2FA with a PC/laptop? Do I just need an NFC reader?

1 Like

ACR1252 or similar should work fine. If windows it works out of the box and if Linux it needs some drivers.

1 Like

i think there’s this idea floating around that we could use phones as readers for the most part and transfer results to the PC

but I guess for the first years it’ll be a real reader, yes

to be clear, the reader works out of the box… our FIDO2 applet still needs work before it will work with windows. For now you can attempt to register it with windows, but it does not give you the setup option after tapping… we are missing some optional FIDO2 extensions which are required for windows.

1 Like

that is on the table… eventually. it will take some driver level magic to actually make work… possibly a USB wireless token + driver magic if we want to support things like VeraCrypt bios/boot level drive decryption.

2 Likes