June 2022 VivoKey Apex Flex update

20 Likes

canihaveit

4 Likes

What is the range of this form factor compared to the X series implants?
I have an XM1 and the range is pretty much contact with the reader at a specific orientation. Was wondering how much better the flex style would be compared to my current implant.

Have a walletmor/xSIID and the range also depends on the strength of the reader. If you are going for low energy locks etc. It is better than the xseries because you can be less precies.

If you are going for the constantly powered active readers than just under 1cm max. If its a strong reader.

1 Like

Oh that’s so cool, you can communicate with the chip before implanting now!

You always could with a flex ( Depending on reader ie, Walletmor could be a struggle whilst still in a test tube and against a shitty EFTPOS Terminal )
Just bear in mind, that you still want to handle the packaging as minimally as possibly, especially if you don’t plan to implant for quite a while after
Or
wear gloves

Here’s why

2 Likes

Those look fantastic! How far are you along with the shipping? Sorry I’m just too excited to get my hands on one of these :slight_smile:

I do have a question though: I have been considering getting a Spark2 but really don’t see the point anymore since the Apex, as far as I can tell, can do everything the Spark2 can and more. Am I missing something here or should I just skip the Spark 2 all together?

(FYI I am planning on using it for 2FA (ideally challenge/response) replacing my yubikey, swipecard access, password manger access and future proofing in case the apex does at some point get certified for EMV)

1 Like

This was brought up before, im sure @Pilgrimsmaster has the thread in memory, and some have considered their spark2 as a backup to their vivokey profile.
So either have it installed in a less accessible area or keep it as home as a backup in case anything happens to your apex

1 Like

RAM or RAID5 ???

5 Likes

Tape

9 Likes

Blows my mind that magnetic tape still is a viable storage medium in 2022

5 Likes

There’s still data on paper tape.

1 Like

Not only viable it is extensively used and under constant R&D like Hard drives are. Big corporations like Google use Tape robots for archival and backup. I had a friend that used to work for Oracle and worked on said tape robots. From what I understand Companies like google have tape libraries that measure in the multiples of Exabytes.

3 Likes

I thought I should actually answer, rather than just reaction :heart:
pretty much bang on, it has actually been mentioned a number of times, just search for “Spark” + “backup” and I’m sure you’ll get a number of hits.

Personally for me, I am getting the APEX Flex when it is avaliable, and I currently have the Original Spark, I won’t be removing it because it currently affords me the ISO15693 option, plus it is a backup to my VK account.
IF I had the Spark2, I still wouldn’t remove it ( But I would maybe consider relocating it, depending on my requirements ) I would view it basically as an xNT, with the ISO14443A ability, and rather than the NDEF option, it would be my account backup.

@Gandaldore , for your situation, since you don’t currently already have one, and it sounds like you are looking at an APEX, I would say it may not be worth grabbing a Spark2…ALTHOUGH, with some of the bundles, you effectively get the Spark2 for “free”, so you could either implant or keep it in storage; to which there are pros and cons for either option

My 2c

A natural evolution from tape worms.

4 Likes

Cyborg worms!

I still have the original flex in my forearm, unfortunately it’s been bricked for almost a year. I’m so excited to finally be able to replace it and put the new one to good use! This looks amazing!

1 Like

I used to be apprehensive about flex implants but now I want to get a NExT for R0 and an Apex Flex for R4… And I’ll probably end up with an xM1 in L5

It’s a rabbit hole, isn’t it?

5 Likes

Hi @amal so pleased you have managed to continue the “hike” and get us to this point.

As one of the original beta programme members I was literally a day away from implanting the original flex when you notified us about the bricking issue. So a near miss!

I have the new flex here with me now. Looks great!

Unfortunately in the interim UK law appears to have changed and I can’t get the implant done here in the United Kingdom by the people I have used in the past in Manchester “Holier than Thou” from your website partner recommendations page back in the day

(Somebody please correct me if there’s a way to get this done in the UK!)

So I appear to need to travel to the EU… I can’t see your implanter recommendation page on the website any more.

Can somebody give me some idea of who might be easiest for me to travel to / contact to get this put in?

Thanks!

Alex

I think there are some people around here who live in the UK and might have some ideas about who could (still) do it.

If there is no way to get it done in the UK, I can recommend my installer in Cologne, Germany - he installed my flexNExT as well as the Titan and a silicone subdermal and is definitely qualified and willing to do such stuff :wink:

2 Likes