KBR1 question for a project

Hey, I am looking to get implanted with the NExT, and I know that the KBR1 can be used as a cool way to log into a computer. Im just wondering about its range. With that chip, how much space can I put between me and the reader? I want to put it inside my computer case, so I can push my hand against the side and unlock it. Is this even possible? Thanks!!

1 Like

Is it a metal case? If so that is very very doubtful.

Glass maybe. Plastic most likely.

1 Like

I have my reader sitting on my desk and I’ll occasionally get a read from maybe a half inch away, but only when I get the orientation perfectly. The coil reads through plastic already so I assume it could read through some more plastic as well; you could always take the coil out of the plastic case it comes in and install it flush against the inside of your computer case if you wanted to.

1 Like

If you do want to mount it internaly and do not have a usb port on the motherboard already these USB header to port adapters could be useful.

4 Likes

You’d probably have best luck either at a case window where you’d see it or just behind the front fascia in front of the real metal front. You wouldn’t see it there and it could be placed next to the power button.

1 Like

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is you should take it apart before you mount it. All you need is a screwdriver then you can place the antennae in an optimal spot and remove the plastic middleman.

1 Like