(*) Level Lock Touch

Final comment. While I was putting the lock back together I think I might have found the cause of some of the mechanical issues that @tac0s had.

The portion of the bolt that fits inside the door has two parts. Those two parts slot together and on one side there is a captive screw that presumably is supposed to hold these parts together. There is however nothing for that screw to grip onto. If the bolt part slides at all it could easily disconnect the battery.

So, who would like to test this next?

2 Likes

@tac0s sent me his level lock touch so that I could do a physical security evaluation (short answer it is not impressive)… Is anyone else interested in evaluating the lock or should I send it back to @tac0s? In which case I will change out some of the pins first.

@fraggersparks are you still interested?

I always enjoy seeing glaring security flaws

I wouldnt mind trying to pick it, not great at it but always fun to try new locks

I’d like it, might be worth shipping to @amal to have put in my next box of goodies. I can ship it back next return box.

I have just received my LRi2K chips oddly enough - very quick for China.

1 Like

New York Times article on picking smart locks

I saw this article and @tac0s also saw it… The lock shown in the picture is the Level Lock Touch.

It’s quite well known that the weakest part of most smartlocks is the lock part. In fact, most smartlocks are worse locks than their purely mechanical brethren because the manufacturers put all their R&D money on the oh-shiny smart part and neglect the fundamentals.

2 Likes

Leaving this here for anyone still interested in this lock after the above review.

3 Likes

I got a Level Lock Touch around the time it was launched in early 2021. Returned it not long after.

I had the same issue that OP had, where the motor disengages if it gets stuck, locking you out if you don’t have the key with you. The BLE unlock only worked 50% of the time. I’m not sure if it is software related and has since improved or not.

I wasn’t aware that it uses a wafer cylinder until recently seeing the video posted by LockPickingLawyer. They can be easily picked using a jiggler with little skill. Which makes it even more disappointing for a $350 door lock.

4 Likes