LF xLED not responding

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 01.36.25
I should have google 3 words… Qi charging frequency.

1 Like

Apologies for the late response. Yeah here is a video where I have the original xLED LF (now called XFD LF) near a powerbank with built in Qi charging.

1 Like

Hey so, @glass.saltmage, I happen to have the exact same wireless charger.

I threw a DT diagnostic card on it as a test.

The LF side lit up very bright, and then went out. It killed the LF side of the test card in under a second. Tested that the charger was still working (still charges my earbuds), and the card now does nothing. I tested the card with my proxmark as well, the LF side is completely dark on that card now.

Seems like this charger is VERY non-compliant, and given the distance that it killed the card at (it went out before I even set down the card), I would say it almost certainly is what killed your xLED, even if you just momentarily passed your hand over it.

Really sorry that this happened to you. If it makes you feel better, I was planning on getting an LF xLED soon. You almost certainly stopped me from making the same mistake. Thank you, for that.

2 Likes

Same here. I learned something in this thread thanks to your mishap. I wasn’t planning on getting anywhere near a Qi charger, but now I know I don’t want to do that ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

We all learned something about how dangerous a Qi charger really can be. :laughing:

and now I’ve got my replacement, so I just need to finish pulling Qi chargers out of my house and commonly used spaces so I don’t make the same mistake with the new one. Still waiting to pull the dead implant out though, as novel as it is to have a maraca implant.

2 Likes

I must say, I’m rather surprised that a Qi charger managed to mechanically break the ferrite - if indeed that’s what you feel rattling. I’d be curious to see what it looks like under a microscope after you have it out, if you have access to that kind of equipment.

I sure don’t have access to a microscope, but once I can get it out I intend to mail it back so Amal can hopefully get a good look at it for us. I’m also intensely curious, mostly in case it can be reasonably deduced that I did something which I can avoid doing again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ll find some great info in here

1 Like

Got this pulled out last night. The glass is, as expected, entirely intact; the rattling sound is the entire antenna (and whatever it’s wound around shifting back and forth just slightly inside, having come loose from what I think is the LED in the end?

My installer was amazing and put my xm1 in the space where he pulled this sucker out from.

3 Likes

oh thats odd… looking forward to seeing it.

1 Like

Um yeah, what Amal said

Show us the “this” :wink:

1 Like

I put it in the mail yesterday, but I do have a photo I took of it after the uninstall. I don’t feel like I know what I’m looking at well enough to provide any meaningful conjecture. :man_shrugging:

picture is removed LF xLED in a plastic bag, on top of the back of my hand.

4 Likes

Is that a xled or a XFD?

its this: https://dangerousthings.com/product/xled/