LF xLED not responding

Been a bit more than three weeks since install. My HF xLED is doing great (I like to check on it every couple days, it’s still novel and brings me great joy) but at some point between Dec 26th and yesterday the LF xLED alongside it has stopped lighting up in response to fields [I can put a tag on either side of it and trigger my access controller through my hand, but no light from the xLED]. I did go back to work on the 27th, but I’m hoping there is something I can do to check on it rather than just assume I’ve already managed to break it.
I’m not heartbroken if I did manage to damage it, but I’m getting ready to buy a few more x series and if I can track this back to user error on my part it may help my future endeavors last a bit longer. :slight_smile:

This is from the 21st [of December], here’s the LF xLED responding to an access controller.
Testing it today. It doesn’t respond, despite being able to read a tag on top of it through my hand. Sorry about the bg noise in the second video, I was trying to catch the access controller beeping.

[edit to add] oh yes, it’s definitely dead. when I shake my hand along the axis of the implant I can hear it rattle faintly.

That is surprising. The implant’s electronics dying is unfortunate but I suppose it can happen. The chip rattling however… I thought everything inside the glass tube was potted in epoxy resin.

Anyhow, hit the help button on the DT webshop: they’ll sort you out.

1 Like

I did open up a support ticket on the website once I realized it was rattling. :laughing:

I’ve got a Qi charger on my desk that might have been the culprit, hopefully I’ll be able to test that and get back to y’all with some info if that was the case.

[edit to add] and when I see my installer for my NExT, I’ll see if he’s willing to pull this one out so we can get a look at it because I’m very curious as to what I managed to do.

I doubt it. As far as I know, Qi chargers actively negotiate the power they send to the charged target. They also actively adjust their resonance frequency using the target’s response. They don’t blast powerful RF fields unconditionally.

Even if it did, it would fry the LED, not physically break something inside the glass tube.

The rattling is the bit that’s got me the most curious, but I don’t know if it’s been doing that since it stopped working or if that’s a result of me handling it heavily over the past dozen hours. I can’t pin down exactly when it stopped working or when it started making noise.

Guess for now I’ve got a HF field detector and a maraca implant.

1 Like

That is interesting and MAY have killed it but I think from what @Satur9 has tested in the past, only if it somehow manages to couple and a QI charger has fried a Diagnostic card LED before after minutes of exposure, but that doesn’t explain the rattle.
I have a thought, but I am sure it is not the case.
Do you have the packaging for the xLED? or the invoice? ( just the line items )
Did you order a bundle? If so which one?
How long ago did your order the xLED?

Did you also get one or 2 of these

or one of these

FYI DangerousThings are still on Holiday until USA Westcoast Monday, so if you don’t get an immediate reply That is probably why

I ordered this one on the 1st of december. I’ve got the invoice, it was for only the xLED implantable field detector at 125kHz in white. It came pre-loaded in a sterile injector assembly, sealed in a bag, sealed in a pouch with the other individually sealed sterile packaged bits, which I took to a professional installer in my area who is familiar with the installation of x series implants. There was nothing else on my order.

(Please don’t take my wordiness for a poor tone, I’m just trying to be thorough. :slight_smile: )

Not at all, I liked it, and you answered my questions and concerns in an efficent and logical manner :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

An overwhelming number of Chinese chargers don’t comply with the standard and will absolutely burn out an xLED LF

2 Likes

Hmm okay, I didn’t realize.

No prob. I think there is an example somewhere on the forum, but maybe it was facebook… anyway yes be careful around most chargers… even ones with take Qi logos… they aren’t compliant. @Vicarious didn’t you have a video of this somewhere?

China putting out noncompliant hardware. Whodathunk it eh?

Anyway, I only have one Qi charger (for one of my many electronic cigarettes) and it makes the device so hot because of eddy currents in the casing it’s scary. And they’re insanely inefficient. So green friend-of-the-Earth me doesn’t use them, so no danger.

1 Like

What do you mean?

KJD6IKZ

2 Likes

I̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶v̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶R̶o̶s̶c̶o̶,̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶:̶ If any of you go to Hessburger, check if they standardise their chargers (the company I worked for had the same chargers all across the venues…) ,so far the Qi I tried at Hessu was implant safe. For FlexNT and xNT and VivoKey at least.

UPDATED

1 Like

Same principle. It doesn’t make the electronic cigarette red-hot, but certainly too hot to touch. And it does that in a hurry too. This said, the device maker (Chinese of course) put a Qi charging col against a fully metallic case. I’m not terribly surprised.

In regards to something about burning out an LF led while a device is coupled to a Qi charger; this is where my charger used to live compared to where my hand would get near it on my desk on a regular basis [tape measure with cm centered under the middle of the charger, nearest end of implant on thumb at very bottom of photo]:

Not entirely true. I’ve had shoddy chargers blow my diag cards. Cheap Chinese ones are usually the culprit.

As per Amal.

All HF chips - LF is where we see issues with Qi.

2 Likes