Lifting magnet and security checkpoints

I can’t find any info on the forums about this which makes me think there has never been an issue but surely a xG3 would set off a typical PI system, at least at some sensitivity levels.

I know the chip implants do not have enough metal to be picked up by one at the usual sensitivity level but the xG3 seems like it would impact the fields given its essentially a blob of iron, boron and neodymium.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I doubt a small magnet will set off metal detectors for two reasons:

1/ The mass of metal is far too small
2/ The magnetic field it produces doesn’t matter: metal detectors work by induction. The detector puts out a RF field to generate eddy current in the target, and measures the change in inductance in the coil.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, I reckon one cranked to max sensitive could, but maybe not the mass of the implant. But still was curious if anyone had tested.

Yeah, was purely worried about the mass of highly conductive metal.

On another note, would the old back scatter machines be able to see implants, a bit of a mute point because I think there all on mm wave with auto threat detection now but still curious.

1 Like

Today’s metal detectors fail to pick up the pile of metallic junk in my left knee, so they’re highly unlikely to pick up a lentil-sized bit of metal. And if they did, the damn things would go off each time someone with a tooth filling passes through.

1 Like

The issue is that knee junk is probably titanium with a very small saturation, and the magnet is literally fucking with the magnetic field of the metal detector. The thing is, most are not set sensitive enough to catch it, and airports now use the scanner things which don’t have a specific metal detecting function. @Vicarious do you have issues with all your magnets?

2 Likes

I’ve walked through 3 or 4 full body metal detectors and have been wanded twice with a 3mm x 6mm finger magnet and an xG3 in the ear, no detection. I also played around extensively with a wand we have in the woodshop that is used to detect embedded nails in wood. Never got it to detect either magnet.

I think Rosco has the right idea with the parasitic induction. A magnet doesn’t absorb any of the field it comes in contact with, it just deflects or attracts it. They’re just using current sensors to compare output current to input current.

3 Likes

So far I never had any problems with any of my magnets or other implants when walking through full body scanner, metal detector gate or handheld metal detector.
Before I walk through the metal detector gate at an airport, I always empty my pockets and take off my safety boots (metal toes)… If the metal detector gate is sensitive enough, it will detect the frame of my glasses, but not the implants.

Vicarious

6 Likes