Localized sub-forums / threads

Wouldn’t it be worth setting up non-English subsections of the forum - simple threads or full-blown sub-forums, if such a thing is possible - seeing as though non-English speakers sometimes struggle, or at least feel compelled to apologize in advance for their perceived lack of mastery of the language.

DT sells worldwide after all. Non-native speakers would feel more welcome if they found a little corner of the DT forum in their own language. I for one would be happy to pitch in and help in the languages I know, and translate stuff to/from DT if necessary. FWIW I speak Spanish and French perfectly, and enough Finnish and Dutch to be convincing.

1 Like

hmm… possibly… lemme noodle that one

1 Like

What a strange expression - one that conjures up images of you doing stuff I’d rather not have in my mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what kind of structure are you thinking?

are you thinking of replicating the support/projects/info categories under each language, or maybe we make a single “foreign language” category and let chaos reign supreme?

Well I don’t know what’s doable easily with DiscordDiscourse. Most primarily English-speaking forums I patronize simply have a “xxx corner” thread (xxx being some language) where anything goes. It’s not ideal but it’s quick and easy. A better arrangement would be some kind of subfolder. The categories can stay as they are I guess - in English I mean.

Just to clarify it’s Discourse, not Discord. It’s challenging because they’re both very active companies in the space

Hey, I got the first 5 letters right. I knew it had disco in it. It ain’t that bad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rather than replicating the info, what about in the Welcome message there is included at the top a note to make people aware.

Google translate isn’t perfect but it gets enough correct to be understood.

I mentioned a while ago, about the possibility to update the welcome message, but in it, I didn’t include the translation feature, maybe right at the top, so it is clear from the get go :man_shrugging:
so it could look something like this

The pinned :pushpin: Forum Welcome Page ( see below ), Just wondering your thoughts on putting in a couple of
Reccomended reads before posting
Only a couple because people are …people

Example below

The Dangerous Things Forum!

:uk: :es::de::fr::cn::malaysia::jp::greece::tr: :indonesia::ru::it::india::sweden::finland:

The forum has a translation feature!

This is a place to discuss biohacking, projects, and technology. This is not place to spout religious dogma, nonsensical ideological arguments, ramblings about government mind control conspiracies, secret alien implants, etc.

Be civil, be adults, and be interesting - or face the ban hammer.:hammer:

Our products can be purchased at www.dangerousthings.com - use responsibly.

BEFORE you post any questions

Read/watch these resources

PAYMENT WITH YOUR IMPLANT

:robot:WIKI - BEGINNERS GUIDE to implants & becoming a cyborg :robot:

INSTALL POSITIONS

NAMING CONVENTIONS

VERY INFORMATIVE PAGE Read it all, watch the videos and check out the matrix at the bottom

unnamed (34)

Once you have read those, you will likely still have questions, but also a much better understanding.
If you have a question, use the search function first.

If you can’t find the answer,
create a post

3 Likes

There’s never gonna be a perfect solution, unless Amal’s got a universal translator chip in the works. But, separating any portion of the forum off is gonna produce unequal results. Info in one area becomes opaque to users who don’t utilize that area. It hides info from non-english speakers, and vice versa. It’s hard to chip in and help someone if I don’t know that they’ve even asked a question.

In short, I think separating off a portion of users is likely to be counter productive. I’d rather we worked to find ways to include them. The translator is a great resource. How about a multi language, “I don’t speak english.” option in the Welcome page that takes you to an explanation of the translator, AND suggests a list of volunteer translators in case you need to shoot a message to someone to help you get up to speed?

Edit, because I’m ignorant in this area, does the forum appear in a person’s native language if their PC / Phone is set to that language?

I know your freakish emoji lust drivers you to modify the wording of your posts to cram as many of those buggers in as possible, but maybe cut off that last line about the ban hammer. It’s implicit on pretty much any forum that you could get banned, and in reality we almost never do. There’s probably only been a handful of people in the history of the forum.

Otherwise great idea :smiley:

1 Like

Amals words, my emoji

I can’t argue with that!!!

FYI,
THIS IS THE ORIGINAL / CURRENT WELCOME MESSAGE

The Dangerous Things Forum!

This is a place to discuss biohacking, projects, and technology. This is not place to spout religious dogma, nonsensical ideological arguments, ramblings about government mind control conspiracies, secret alien implants, etc.

Be civil, be adults, and be interesting - or face the ban hammer.

Our products can be purchased at www.dangerousthings.com - use responsibly.

Fixed it for ya.

2 Likes

:rofl:

I must admit, those things make my eyes bleed. Also, enough of them and the sentence becomes unreadable. They’re cute once, but they get old pretty fast.

And, they make screen readers unusable for those with sight impairment… Not that anybody has really ever cared to make www accessible to them mind you…

:eye::hear_with_hearing_aid::question::sheep: R :lips:

yeah, sheep are mouthy bastards.

1 Like