Implant Sutra - An index of implant positions that have been discussed and/or tried

In short This post as all about location, location, location! :palm_tree:

While planning my current batch of implants it became apparent there is LOTS of great information on this forum about implant locations but the number of threads and opinions is a tad overwhelming. This is especially for newbies and results in multiple “Implant location plan” thread’s.

With this in mind I have tried to recall all the implant locations I have seen discussed or showcased on this forum to list them and any information about each of them. I will also leave placeholders for things that could use more info but I could not easily find anything, these will be marked with an emoji and a funny/lame comment.

The goal would be for when someone posts yet another implant location thread, this can be referenced and if the information is not here I hope you awesome cyborgs :robot: will update this. (sorry I realise I essentially just described a… wiki :laughing:)

NOTE:
DT only recommends you put X series transplants in Position 0 on your hands as stated in the FAQ post here.

Hand:

This is the most common area to have implants because it is much easier to manipulate them so they can be read.

Details

Given there are so many potential locations in the hand there is a naming scheme that is used documented in this DT info post
Here is the index image if you just need a reminder:

Physical/anatomically left and right should not matter, but it is good to bear in mind what hand you are likely to want to use for your desired use case. For example if I get an xG3 I would likely put it on my non dominant hand so that I can put little screws etc there with my dominant hand :magnet:.

All of the numbered positions should be far enough apart that X series implants using the same frequency should not collide although results will vary based on the reader and the size of your hands ect. Flex implants have a much larger coil and their read range is better so they would require more space.

This is a image posted by Pilgrimsmaster in the fantastic beginners guide is a good TL DR of this section.

Position 0:

This is the recommended location for X series implants from DT, and is a great spot for your first 1 or 2 implants (or 4 if you get xLEDs as well :flashlight:).

Details

Advantages:

• Easiest location to implant into :syringe:
  • Works for everyone
  • Allows the tag to be used fairly easily
  • Great protection for the bioglass encapsulation
  • Minimal migration risk

Considerations:

• Regular cyborgs have 2 hands (currently :wink:), that is where implant locations come in, because who would want to stop at only 2? :crazy_face:

Examples:
image xLED from DT product page
Half Blue ElwinRansom’s blue xSIID (source)
image Zktat2s’s NeXT (source)
image Satakjar’s xRay - 2 in position 0, 1 in position 5 (source)

**Noteworthy posts & links:**Tragus Implants and You (but also me)

• DT’s pro installation guide for X series implants (link)
  • Sparkfun’s self installation video (link)
  • xLED’s implantable field detectors (Not to be confused with X field detectors) can be placed here next to another implant (at least 5mm away) this can help you get the position for your other chip, and it looks dope af.
  • FuriousFlex’s question regarding noticing an implant during a handshake (link)

Position 1-4:

These positions are all similar and correspond with the space between the first metacarpals of each of your fingers.

Details

Advantages:

• Plenty of potential spots
  • Good protection for the bioglass encapsulation
  • Minimal migration risk
  • The 1-4 area is large enough for flex installs

Considerations:

• The back of the hands are full of tendons and blood vessels :blood: so installation can be harder
  • May not be suitable for some small / very skinny hands

Examples:
image Devilclarke’s green xSIID (source)
image Sijaka’s (source)

Noteworthy posts & links:

• X series implants in this area are more common but as you can see in Turkeh’s post flex installs are possible (link)

** Additional notes on position 1:

• :eyeglasses: looking a bit empty.

** Additional notes on position 2:

• :robot: info `404 not found.

** Additional notes on position 3:

• :see_no_evil: nothing to see here!

** Additional notes on position 4:

• :running_man: move along now!

Position 5 / Knife edge:

This position is common for both X series and flex implants. (also kung fu fighting? :martial_arts_uniform:)

Details

Advantages:

• Allows the tag to be used very easily
  • Area is large enough for flex installs

Considerations:

• Area is easy to bang (although should be fine once initial healing period is up)

Examples:
image Zktat2s’s xLED (source)
image Satakjar’s xRay - 2 in position 0, 1 in position 5 (source)

• JennyMcLane’s blog post about flexDF installation at L5 (link)

Position 6-10:

These positions are all similar and correspond with the area on our around the second metacarpal each of your fingers and your thumb.

Details

Advantages:

• Plenty of potential spots
  • Minimal migration risk
  • The 1-4 area is large enough for flex installs

Considerations:

• Fingers often take a beating and there is not much padding to protect the implant
  • May need larger hands for the any of the 6-10 locations to be viable

Examples:
:hourglass_flowing_sand: time to fill this out?

• Nbvcxz’s example of fingers taking a beating (warning :blood) (link)

** Additional notes on position 6:

• As mentioned here position 6 is essentially a gripping surface at times so may not be ideal.

** Additional notes on position 7:

• :derelict_house: this could use some TLC

** Additional notes on position 8:

• :thought_balloon: any ideas?

** Additional notes on position 9:

• :construction_worker_man: fix this up?

** Additional notes on position 10:

• :checkered_flag: finish this off?

Position -1 (Outside of the 1st metacarpal):

Not sure what this one is called, we might need to update the naming guide.

Details

Advantages:

• :heavy_plus_sign: add some info?

Considerations:

• :kangaroo: hop along.

Examples:
image Greyghost’s xG3 (source)

• :adhesive_bandage: stick some more info here

Finger Tips:

Finger tips (the sides not the gripping surface) are often used for magnets when trying to achieve a sensing effect.

Details

Advantages:

• Higher number of nerves, good for getting a sensing effect

Considerations:

• Fingers often take a beating and there is not much padding to protect the implant
  • Higher number of nerves might result in more pain

Examples:

SurvivalMistakes’s xG3 (source)
image Greyghost’s magnet (source)
image Zakten’s xG3 (source)

• SurvivalMistakes’s xG3 install notes (link)

Gripping Surfaces:

Any surface where you are likely to use to grip things, especially areas over bone that pressure may be applied to are strongly discouraged as it would likely result in a crushed implant. :crying_cat_face:

Forearm:

This area is a common implant location popular for flex implants.

Details

Advantages:

• Lots of space
  • Somewhat easy to position correctly next to a reader
  • Great protection for the bioglass encapsulation (excluding the boney parts, real technical word usage here)

Considerations:

• Migration may be an issue
  • The forearms are full of tendons and blood vessels :blood: so installation can be harder

Examples:

trossman’s xG3 (source)
Backpackingvet’s xLED (source)

Upper Arm & armpit:

DT recommends this area for the xBT implantable temperature sensing chip.
It has also been used as a “backup” location for Vivokey by the author of this Wiki

Details

Advantages:

• Good location for temperature reads
  • Plenty of space
  • Great protection for the bioglass encapsulation
  • Works for everyone

Considerations:

• Hard to use for most purposes such as door locks
  • Migration may be an issue (xBT has a anti-migration coating so should not be an issue)

Examples:
image Rosco’s xBT (source)

• Rosco’s xBT post has some good info and follow up data (link)

• Leumas95 Spark 2 install link ( Inner Bicep / Tricep )

Torso:

The torso is most likely a good location for future implants that do not need to be positioned near a reader (Or you can chest bump the door, you do you)

Details

There is not enough implantation done in the torso for me to have a good idea of how to split this into categories.
Leeborg’s LED chest implant is a great example I have seen on the forum (link)
Outside the forum the NorthSense was an interesting concept (link)

Head:

I am sure there are many possibilities for implants in this area but only a few reported

Details

Vicarious’s subdermal mono headphone post (link) and this other Tagus implant post
Hopefully things like neuralink will also make it onto this list in the future.
Over in the Vivokey forum, there is an example of somebody with some facial implants

It’s in my left jaw, together with an xBT.
Don’t even have RFID reader for xBT yet lol.
Have in total 4 different implants around my face
Vivokey thread link

The Nether Regions:

Details

Penis:

:see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

Details

Advantages:

• You would have of the most advanced penes (TIL: that’s the plural noun for penis) in the world

Considerations:

• :no_good_man: I will let someone else take this one, do not want to think about it.

• There was a member of the forum who did this with a xSIID. I can’t find the post to credit him :eggplant: :man_shrugging:. Apparently it was removed because it was not healing because he could not leave “himself” alone :wink:.

Buttocks:

There has been talk of butt implants with readers in chairs for PC login etc.
I do not know if this has been done however

Details

Advantages:

• Lots of space
  • Lots of padding
  • Should work for everyone

Considerations:

• Migration may be an issue

• Rosco’s Butt Based Authentication concept (link)

Legs and feet:

I did consider that for this project a magnet in the leg at the same height as your pocket could be useful for coupling with the electronics.

Details

Advantages:

Considerations:

• many tendons

Examples:

@rosco Implant in foot: practical problem

Template for adding positions:

This is obviously not set in stone, it is a wiki after all, I just thought I would provide some markdown code for your copypasta pleasure :grinning:.

Markdown
Intro here

[details="Details"]

**Advantages:**
  - :gun: take a shot at contributing to the wiki.

**Considerations:**
  - :memo: fill me out!

**Examples:**
![alt text](LINK HERE) PERSON's implant description [(source)](LINK)
![alt text](LINK HERE) PERSON's implant description

**Noteworthy posts & links:**
  - PERSONS 1 [(link)](https://forum.dangerousthings.com)
  - PERSONS 2 [(link)](https://forum.dangerousthings.com)

[/details]

Fine print:

I am more of a tech head than a biohacker, I just have read a lot of posts the last few weeks and am summarizing so if I have messed any terminology up or missed something important my bad, please fix my boo boos :stuck_out_tongue:

I also have dyslexia so I apologize for any typos my spellcheck messed up

:+1:

46 Likes

Mate that is fantastic works and a lot of it, Stopped part way through just to post this.
Nooice

3 Likes

I’ve put my xG3 in a similar location to trossman. Mine is slightly lower and I went up toward the wrist.

2 Likes

It has come to my attention that wiki editing is not something that normal users can do right now so if you see something that you think will fit in this page post a comment here with your addition and I will endeavor to add it :smiley:

2 Likes

I need a good list of places to put flex chips, I’m contemplating a FlexM1 instead of a X while I am waiting for lockdown to lift

1 Like

basically flex chips have different “no no” concerns… x-series = avoid bone… flex = avoid tension. my personal favorite for flex is wrist / arm, not hand… simply because the hand is all curvy and moves a lot and can be an issue with large flex devices, but every person is different and if your hand has enough tissue and “flat space” for a flex then go for it.

2 Likes

Yeah I am thinking wrist/arm just to be safe for the foreseeable future

2 Likes

Want a picture to put under the other one?

5 Likes

And xray of it now.

5 Likes

I got one in my neck… Great location need a couple weeks to settle

Any more info? any photos/video or further description?

one what? can you be a little more specific?
magnet? Titan, xG3?
Blinky? xSIID?

I’m assuming, you are not using it for access or payment?

If you throw me some more info, I can update the original post…

It’s an temperature sensor that’s also used for access to the office the panels hang criminal high so when i pass by close they give me acces -:slight_smile:

an xBT?
Do you have further info, like a link etc?

Wow, can you provide details on the readers?

2 Likes

I didn’t know this was even possible…
Also, implanting something in the neck (aka close to the spine) is something few modders would do, not with the soft silicone implants, and even less with hard glassies. Where did you get it done, and is it placed in the back of the neck or more to the side of it?

6 Likes

It’s located on the side of my neck (a glass one) got it i stalled in Belgium

Thanks for that, do you have more information you can update your post with?

Images, exact location, which specific implant, what you use it for and how you find it to use.

Possibly the actual installer.

The more info, the better.

1 Like

I’m also interested in the installer name. And the other information of course.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Flipper Zero - Kickstarter RFID/RF/BLE/USB/IR