Lodestone PICO : Finger magnet fun for everyone

Just got my new iPhone 15 today. Sure enough, it works great with my Pico! :kissing_smiling_eyes: (Again, tested with my listening device since I’m not magnetic yet.)

4 Likes

Ok cables came, I started e perimenting with range

iPhone 12 here, tragus magnets are tickly with the pico

Finger magnets are so so for sound but can sense the field not too bad.

Unfortunately for anything on iPhone I had to pump the volume to 100%.

This will definitely freak my normie friends

4 Likes

Yup that’s needed on any device. Keep in mind they don’t do any onboard amplification. This way they are tiny and battery-less. The tradeoff is power

I must admit it does look cool :mechanical_arm:

4 Likes

:o haven’t been here for a while
looks awesome for my titan

4 Likes

You might have to wait a bit but they will soon be available again :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome back

You Betcha

I was going to reply to you sooner, but I was off answering another question, Anyway Az beat me to it.

I was going to say:

He is out of stock

But he is also being a tease

Pico2 ?
PicoNanoMicroTiny?
anyway, he also provided a “Build your own” on GitHub, as you would have seen, but here’s the link

The only reason I am really replying is, you may have also missed his Zinc Project

It’s really awesome actually
It has a cost to it, but it is VERY reasonable, and has Tiers to it, meaning, One of the Tiers, you can basically get a free Pico.
I’m not sure if this will carry over to the new “PicoNanoMicroTiny” :man_shrugging:
But the App itself is awesome, with even more functionality coming Soon™

I was going to write a review on it, but I was waiting for it to be “finished”
But also, I don’t have a BioMagnet, so I’m not one of the kool kids, and I couldn’t review all the functionality.

Anyway, welcome back, and check out the Zinc Project whilst you wait for the “PicoNanoMicroTiny”

:zinc:

3 Likes

Before December :wink:

How dare you

That’s planned but not soon soon, more future soon

2 Likes

Dangerous Things has commissioned a bulk run of Loadstone PICO for sale on the store :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Got my Lodestone yesterday and I figured I toss out my first impressions after fucking around with the haptic lab for half an hour or so… Maybe we need a "Lodestone Experiences " thread? :man_shrugging: For everyone’s reference, I have a Titan in the blade of my left hand and an xG3 v2 in the blade of my right.

TLDR: Titan is the sensing king. Lodestone is fun and is making me want to reinvestigate my Titan (which was slated for removal/repositioning).

Titan
Very responsive and noticeable particularly on Sine and Saw Wave. I keep wanting to say “sharp” but that’s not quite right–I think I’m feeling the edges of the device. This was a particularly fun experience because I can’t feel much of anything with my Titan in terms of current flow. Even around microwaves.

xG3 v2
It feels very faint and soft. Regardless of the frequency it feels substantially slower and less active than the Titan.

Overall, I noticed something interesting: there seems to be a wave encompassing those intentionally generated by the Lodestone. Like, I can feel the Titan vibrating fast at 200hz but there is an ebb and flow to it’s intensity, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

That’s unexpected, in my experiments and theory the square wave [and saw on different frequencies] is much more energetic. I wonder if that’s a titan-specific behavior? It makes me very excited to see a bunch of test results come in and figure out all these differences!

Very surprising. Every magnet I’ve had, sensitive or not, gets at least a faint buzz from average microwaves. Have you explored the back of it?

I have no idea what you’re talking about but I’m very curious! Do you mean your sensitivity varies with frequency?

This is my sensitivity ploted

Edit: to clarify the plots above, lower is better. It’s the minimum threshold of intensity that can be sensed reliably.
toh-2023.pdf (7.5 MB) (not published)

2 Likes

I wonder if this might have something to do with resonance and the physical harmonic of moving mass. In theory, if you are close to resonance then energy should build but then dissipate because it’s out of sync. Very curious.

2 Likes

:joy: I need coffee to live.

4 Likes

So, I didn’t realize the volume was a factor. Trying it again at full volume is a very different experience. Both magnets are pretty loud. It’s harder for me to tell the different waves apart with the xG3. I have yet to do the test but hopefully Sunday or Monday. The Titan’s pocket feels mildly irritated ATM. That’s the far and away the most excitement it’s experienced since its install more than a year ago.

3 Likes

Don’t hurt yourself :laughing: maybe th Lodestones need a disclaimer?

3 Likes

I would just put a note in the app that says you might want to start at 50% volume and test it out.

Haha, nah. It’s not bad. There’s an intensity slider in the app. It starts out at zero. Which apparently makes my brain set it to 11 and see what happens. Maybe a dialogue warning if you exceed 75? Or so?

There’s no way the pico is strong enough to cause instant pain. What I was worried about is irritation after long stimulation.
It’s common sense to stop if it gets uncomfortable but common sense is not that common :man_shrugging:

There’s no short term risk in going full volume. In fact it’s ment to be used like so (as you saw in the tests).
It’s a long term exposure that may cause irritation? Like a half hour of full blast saw wave at 100Hz. But why would anyone do that? And other than wearing out your pocket I don’t think it would do much?

2 Likes

I’ve let it go for 4 hours in class with my hand in almost constant contact lol
My hand wasn’t sore at the end, but it felt really weird after I turned it off.

2 Likes

Welp :joy: at least we know now

No irritation around the magnet?

2 Likes

I could see the Titan causing irritation after longer periods due to its shape. The knife edge where my xG3 is doesn’t have as many nerves either, so maybe it would’ve been sore if there were more nerves.

2 Likes